Broadcaster charged with assaulting girl, 13

-remanded after teen voices fear for life

A broadcaster is now a remanded prisoner after being charged with assaulting a 13-year-old girl and threatening her mother.

Ossie Rodgers, who is a broadcaster attached to the NTN Channel 69 and NTN radio 89.1 FM, appeared at the Sparendaam Magis-trate’s Court yesterday to answer the charges, which allegedly stemmed from the girl’s communication with a 15-year-old boy who is known to him.

Rodgers, 39, of Lot 52 Atlantic Ville, denied that he assaulted the teenager, causing her actual bodily harm on March 26, at Industry, East Coast Demerara. He further denied that on the same day he threatened her mother with a piece of wood. It is the prosecution’s case that Rodgers went to the girl’s home and confronted her about their mutual 15-year-old friend. According to Prosecutor Anthony, the defendant took away the girl’s phone and ran through her call log and text messages before he dealt her two slaps to the head and face. Additionally, the prosecutor stated that the girl’s mother then enquired about his behaviour, only to be confronted and threatened with a piece of wood by Rodgers.

Ossie Rodgers
Ossie Rodgers

Rodgers’ attorney, Dexter Todd, made an application for bail but Magistrate Alex Moore remanded the accused after the teenager expressed fear for her life and the prosecutor objected.

Prosecutor Anthony objected on the grounds that the victim is a minor who should be protected. He noted that the dispute had evolved from a verbal spat to a physical confrontation and told the court that complaints were made by the victims that Rodgers had been showing up at their home. He said too that there was fear of Rodgers showing up at the girl’s school and that Rodgers had also resisted arrest.

Rodgers had appeared before Magistrate Moore last year and was found guilty and sentenced to community service in another matter.

The case will called again on April 8.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Resource ambassadors raise $14.5m for UG

Education resource ambassadors from various parts of the world who were recently here for a conference on improving UG have raised $14.5m for the university.

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: