Wanted man ‘Popcorn’ killed in shootout with police

Wanted man, Deodat ‘Popcorn’ Seecharran was shot dead around 11:30 pm on Sunday during an exchange of gunfire with police at Betsy Ground, East Canje.

Sources told Stabroek News that at the time of the shooting police were responding to a report that Seecharran, of Adelphi, Canje and another man were seen on bicycles in the area.

According to the source, the police “challenged them to stop,” but instead they opened fire on the ranks. They then dropped their bicycles and started running through a track with the police officers in hot pursuit.

Seecharran, who was hit to his head and left shoulder, collapsed to the ground. He was picked up and taken

to the New Amsterdam Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival. His accomplice managed to elude capture.

Police said in a release that they recovered a haversack that contained ten .32 rounds, a stocking mask and camouflage pants along with the two bicycles.

Seecharran, of Adelphi, Canje was wanted in connection with the recent murder of Patricia Samaroo, 57, of Number 2 Road, Canje and the attempted murder of her sister, Annetta Samaroo, 45 at Fyrish, Corentyne on March 7.

Patricia Samaroo sustained a single gunshot wound to her head while her sister Annetta was shot to her abdomen after she recognised Seecharran and shouted his name.

Deodat ‘Popcorn’ Seecharran
Deodat ‘Popcorn’ Seecharran

He was also wanted for the murder of businessman, Devindra Deodat of Hampshire, Corentyne on February 10.

Deodat was shot to his chest, chopped to neck and hands and one of his fingers was severed in the attack at his home.

His father-in-law, Rafeek Abdul, called ‘King,’ 57, of Lot 63 Williamsburg, Corentyne, was shot twice to his shoulder when he rushed to the residence after learning that bandits were there. Deodat’s wife, Shaneeza, sustained chops to her skull.

On June 5, 2012 Seecharran had been charged with two counts of robbery under arms and was remanded to prison. He was granted bail in the sum of $300,000 on each charge August 22, 2012.

He was also one of four men who attempted to break into the home of a GuySuCo staffer, Rajendra Parsaram on December 9.

During that botched robbery, he was shot to his buttocks. His accomplices, Zafir Abdul, 22, of Adelphi Housing Scheme, Canje, was shot to his left hip and Keshwar Harrinarine, 31, of Fyrish was also shot to his  buttocks. Another partner was apprehended shortly after.

They had attempted to break into Parasram’s home but he was awakened by strange sounds and raised an alarm. The three men ran away, discharging a round in the direction of the house in the process.

Community Policing Group members in the area were alerted and mobilized themselves in search of the men.

The police were also informed and according to a statement, “responded quickly to the report received and while approaching the area on foot, they came under fire from the bandits who were in the compound of a Mandir in the vicinity.”

The police “returned fire but the men managed to escape from the compound and headed in the direction of the backdam area,” the statement had said.

The police said that back-up ranks were summoned and the police continued their pursuit of the men and caught up with them at the Betsy Ground Cemetery but the men again opened fire and the police responded, injuring all three men in the process. The suspected bandits were then rushed to the New Amsterdam Hospital and were transferred to the Georgetown Public Hospital.

The police said that a number of shotgun pellets were recovered from Parasram’s house and a shotgun barrel along with an empty 12-gauge shotgun casing was found at the cemetery. Subsequent searches resulted in the stock and other parts of the 12-gauge shotgun used by the perpetrators being found in the Betsy Ground Cemetery.

Seecharran was charged on December 17, 2012 with attempting to commit burglary, three counts of discharging loaded firearm with intent, possession of firearm without licence and possession of ammunition without licence.

On August 13, 2013, he was placed on bail in the sum of $100,000 on each charge but he was unable to pay. The bail was reduced to $50,000 each on September 4, 2013 and he was subsequently released.

The police said that although “notices in relation to the dates of the continuing of the matters were sent,” Seecharran failed to return to court and the charges were consequently proceeded with ex parte.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Caribbean series hopes to crack US market with T20 foray

(Reuters) – Chris Gayle and Shane Watson need no introductions in cricket-playing countries but while they are unlikely to become household names in the U.S.

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

default placeholder

Ferry collides with Supenaam stelling

The ferry,  Sabanto  suffered extensive damage after it collided with the Supenaam Stelling last evening and will be out of service until further notice.

The car, PSS 1236 after it stuck the three victims.

Three hospitalised after driver hits visiting St Lucian scouts

A visiting St. Lucian Cub Scout has been critically injured, while another and his mother escaped with minor injuries after they were struck by a car yesterday afternoon near the Scout Association of Guyana headquarters at Woolford Avenue.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: