Defence says no case against woman charged with assault on PM’s son

‘His evidence, I submit, is unreliable; his entire evidence’

The attorney for Tenza Lane, the woman accused of attacking of the Prime Minister’s son and his fiancée, yesterday argued that there was no case made out against her client, who will soon know her fate.

Lane, 18, is facing three charges following an alleged confrontation between Samuel Hinds Jnr and his fiancée, Sonia Herbert, who is also Lane’s sister, on February 27. An alleged scuffle earned Lane two threatening behaviour charges along with an assault charge.

Lane had been placed on bail on March 21 after denying the allegations before Magistrate Geeta Chandan-Edmond.

Tenza Lane
Tenza Lane
Samuel Hinds Jnr
Samuel Hinds Jnr

On April 3, Prosecutor Colin Primus closed the threatening behaviour case against the woman after four witnesses, including the young woman’s sister, testified against her.

During yesterday’s proceedings, two witnesses, Corporal Patrick Peters and Sergeant Roxanne Sandy, testified against Lane in connection with the remaining unlawful assault charge. Sandy subsequently underwent cross-examination by Lane’s attorney Simone Morris-Ramlall.

In her testimony, Sandy said was the officer on duty at the Brickdam Police Station when Hinds went to make a report against Lane. According to the sergeant, she was stationed in the Inquiry Office when, at about 2 pm on February 27, Hinds went into the office with several persons and reported that Lane had assaulted him.

Lane, who was with the group as Hinds made the allegation, was told of the offence and cautioned. In defence, Lane explained that she had been assaulted by Hinds. Sandy added that Lane was placed in custody while another officer, Constable Samantha Charles-Garraway, was told to investigate the matter.

Prosecutor Primus closed the prosecution’s case and Morris-Ramlall was given an opportunity to make a submission.

In her submission, the attorney stated that there was no case for her client to answer to and pointed out that the evidence submitted by Hinds did not disclose the elements of the assault. Though the evidence alleged a scuffle, Morris-Ramlall noted that there was no evidence from the virtual complainant which proved that Lane had inflicted the injuries he had allegedly sustained.

“His evidence, I submit, is unreliable; his entire evidence,” the lawyer emphasised.

Morris-Ramlall also pointed to discrepancies between Hinds’ testimony and that of Sandy’s. In his testimony, Morris-Ramlall said, Hinds had plainly said that he had gone to the police station to make a report about a phone that was allegedly stolen by Lane. In contrast, Sandy’s testimony, revealed that Hinds had gone to make a report of assault and not stolen property.

“The witness who just testified is the only witness who said that he made a report of assault,” Morris-Ramlall pointed out.

Wrapping up her submission, the attorney requested that Sandy’s claims that Lane had been cautioned be expunged because there was no evidence to support the statement.

Following the submission, Prosecutor Primus requested a further date for his submissions and the case was adjourned until April 14.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Students of Guyana and Suriname who participated in the first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee Competition, held yesterday at NCERD.

Guyana overall w-i-n-n-e-r in first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee

Guyana’s students yesterday emerged the overall winners in the first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee Competition. The Spelling Bee brought together students of Guyana and Suriname, from ages 10 to 14, in a concept of solidarity dubbed “Guianame.” The participants were drawn from several regions in Guyana and from the AlphaMax Academy, which has been the winner of the National Spelling Bee in Suriname for the past three years.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: