Man freed of BlackBerry theft charge

A man who was accused of stealing a Blackberry Torch cellular phone valued $120,000 was yesterday set free after the court ruled that a case had not been made out against him.

Oslin Robinson, whose address was not given, appeared before Magistrate Geeta Chandan-Edmond when his trial continued yesterday.

It had been alleged that on January 30, after dark, on North Road, Robinson relieved Denise Jackman of the said phone.

Representing Robinson, Attorney Adrian Thompson submitted to the court that no case was made against his client on the basis that the police failed to conduct an identification parade and further that the manner by which his client was apprehended was questionable. He mentioned that the officer sent to arrest his client did so without receiving any name, description or other information about the alleged larcenist. He also stated that no phone was found in the house of his client when the police conducted their search.

The attorney submitted to the court that the virtual complainant’s testimony was unreliable since she claimed to have known the perpetrator in court but failed to state this in her statement or even make mention of it to the police. The attorney ventured to challenge the evidence of the virtual complainant on the basis that her statement was written after the arrested individual (Robinson) was seen by her but she failed to identify him as someone she knew.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Two charged over murder of Mahdia miner

Shane Mc Almont, 33 years and Marlon Joseph called ‘Short Man’, 28 years, both of 111 Miles Mahdia, Potaro were charged today with Murder and Accessory to Murder respectively committed on Shawn Clarke between 2016-07-10 to 2016-07-22 at 111 Miles Mahdia, Potaro, the police say.

default placeholder

Two St Lucia cub scouts injured in accident

The police say they are investigating a serious accident which occurred about 1210h. today at Woolford Avenue, involving motor car PSS 1236 and two St.

default placeholder

Lightning suspected in power outage -GPL

At approximately 20:56 hours last evening, the Guyana Power and Light says a line trip along two Kingston feeders (F3 and F4) resulted in an interruption in the supply of electricity to customers in Kingston, Cummingsburg, Albertown, Lacytown and Werk-en-Rust.

Bharrat Jagdeo

Jagdeo stands by NY statements

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo last night stood by statements he had made in New York about discrimination against Indo-Guyanese which the APNU+AFC government has described as race-baiting.

City Hall

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

Opposition Leader Bharrat Jagdeo addressing the audience 
 

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: