Head of the Presidential Secretariat (HPS), Dr. Roger Luncheon today told reporters that while he has been diagnosed with cancer of the gastrointestinal tract he will not seek medical treatment and will leave his heath to fate.
“My illness deteriorated…I have taken the decision to not do anything of an interventionalist nature. That is what I want and this is what I am abiding to …but I don’t think you should expect the vintage Luncheon,” the Cabinet Secretary told reporters at a Press Conference today.
It was his first public engagement with the media since his return to work last Tuesday after being on medical leave for over two months.
He said the resounding support and love demonstrated to him during the period he was at home has strengthened his resolve and commitment to Guyana. “My commitment to this country is absolute…what I was exposed to has confirmed beyond any doubt whatsoever… I love this country and I believe there are more people that love Luncheon than hate him,” he said.
He told Stabroek News that the diagnosis of cancer came last year June and that he will not seek medical treatment as he did not wish to undergo rigorous cancer treatments at his age. He said too that as a medical doctor he was not on any herbal treatments either.
Luncheon said that this has been the second major health scare he has had saying “This is my second chance with death. I am not a gambler but they say three times and you’re out.”
He said that he was assisting with plans for his replacement. When the time comes “the transition will be effective” but for now his workload has been scaled down to meet his limitations.
Luncheon, a leading figure in both the government and the PPP has served as Cabinet Secretary and HPS for over 21 years.