Tourist injured by falling debris from Robb St building

A tourist was yesterday injured by falling debris from the “The City Food Court” building under construction at the junction of Robb and Camp streets.

The injured man, who did not wish to be identified, was cradling a visibly swollen arm and clutching his back when Stabroek News arrived at the scene.

The incident occurred at approximately 10:30 yesterday morning when the man attempted to enter his vehicle, which was parked along Robb Street. He related that as he approached the vehicle, he felt a sudden pain in his arm and back and a few seconds later he realised that he had been hit by falling construction material. Apart from the injury sustained by the tourist, the parked vehicle was also damaged.

The injured man at the right of his vehicle, which was parked on Robb Street.
The injured man at the right of his vehicle, which was parked on Robb Street.

It was observed that there was a visible dent on the rail of the tray and that the paint was also scratched.

The workers at the construction site were overheard blaming the injured man, saying he was at fault for parking near the building. These comments were reiterated by a representative of the business to be sited at the spot, who appeared at the scene shortly after the incident. The representative refused to identify himself and used a series of expletives while attempting to chase the Stabroek News reporter from the scene.

He continued to use expletives as he spoke to the workmen on duty and reprimanded them for their carelessness. He was, however, overheard telling the injured man that he should have known better. Out of what appeared to be frustration, the tourist exclaimed that he did not want any problems but he said that he believed that if parking was indeed prohibited, then “you should have gotten permission to barricade the premises.”

The tourist, who hails from the United States, drove off while exclaiming that the incident had marred his vacation.

Approximately half an hour after the incident, efforts were made by a construction worker to barricade the premises. There were concrete blocks layered along the road with wooden planks laid across them.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Facebook Live set to broadcast T20 games

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, CMC – Caribbean Premier League organisers have combined with online social networking service, Facebook, to broadcast all 34 games of the new season, live to 40 countries.

default placeholder

Increased venues, franchises in pipeline as CPL seeks expansion

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad,  CMC – Caribbean Premier League organisers say they will explore pushing the increasingly popular Twenty20 tournament into Asia, as well as expanding the number of franchises involved and hosting them in North American cities.

default placeholder

Grade Six results to be released Tuesday

The Ministry of Education today said that results of the National Grade Six Assessment –NGSA will be released on Tuesday, July 5, 2016.

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: