West Canje man fatally shot in property dispute

– businessman in custody

A New Amsterdam businessman, Charles Henry aka Charlie Bristol, is currently in police custody in connection with the shooting to death of 52-year-old Errol Lindo called ‘Sono’ and ‘Son-son’ of Caracas Village, West Canje. Lindo was shot thrice about the body at his residence on Wednesday, allegedly by Henry. Originally from Yakusari, Black Bush Polder on the Corentyne, Lindo migrated to New Amsterdam almost two decades ago and took up residence, joining others in squatting on the vast unused lands in the Angoy’s Avenue area. Some four years ago, Henry, a re-migrant who invested in a few businesses in New Amsterdam, claimed ownership of the lands and sought to have the squatters removed.

A legal battle ensued. The businessman and several of the squatters (including the now deceased Lindo) are currently before the courts to determine who has legal rights to the land. While a conclusive decision is yet to be made by the courts, efforts had been made to have the squatters forcibly removed.

According to residents, Henry along with four men arrived at Lindo’s residence sometime around noon on Wednesday and started to dismantle the two-bedroom wooden house. Lindo, a farmer and tractor operator, was not at home at the time. Attempts by Lindo’s sister—who was summoned to the scene by residents after calls to Lindo’s cell phone when unanswered—to stop the men were futile. Upon arriving home around 17:00 hrs and seeing the destruction of his house, Lindo ran into the yard and was allegedly shot thrice.

What was left of Errol Lindo’s two-bedroom home after the dismantling on Wednesday.
What was left of Errol Lindo’s two-bedroom home after the dismantling on Wednesday.

Fifty-two-year-old Rookmin Dindyal, who lives obliquely opposite Lindo and witnessed the incident told Stabroek News: “The man [Lindo] sister come in and try to stop them from breaking the house, but them still determined to break the house. Then Son-son run in from the dam, and I just hear bang! Bang! Bang!”

Dindyal recalled that when the villagers and onlookers realised Lindo had been shot, they tried to apprehend Henry, who sought refuge in a nearby house. Unable to get their hands on Henry the angry mob torched his car.

The residents all bemoaned what they referred to as the “injustice of this country. How you could come in a man yard, break down he house and then shoot he and kill he?” they questioned.

Signalling their displeasure with what happened and calling on the relevant authorities to intervene and ensure the family of the deceased receives justice, the enraged villagers picketed in front of the ‘B’ Division Central Police Station, yesterday. According to the protestors, something needs to be done to resolve the land dispute amicably before it results in more bloodshed.

“We need justice. We living on this land for more than 20 years and we would like to know we got some legal right to this land,” they said. According to the residents, the businessman has been demanding payment for the lots they occupy to the tune of $300,000 to $500,000, but has not provided them with proof of ownership.

What was left of Errol Lindo’s two-bedroom home after the dismantling on Wednesday.
What was left of Errol Lindo’s two-bedroom home after the dismantling on Wednesday.

“We need the government to do something. We can’t pay somebody money for it and don’t have any papers showing proof of ownership. Let Mr Bristol present his papers, so we can know what grounds we fighting on,” they argued.

Over 100 families are squatting on the acres of land the businessman claims to own.

Residents outside the New Amsterdam Central Police Station yesterday protesting the shooting death of Errol Lindo.
Residents outside the New Amsterdam Central Police Station yesterday protesting the shooting death of Errol Lindo.

Lindo’s sister who witnessed the shooting of her brother was too traumatized to speak to Stabroek News. Lindo leaves to mourn six children.

Police are currently investigating the incident.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

default placeholder

Ministry welcomes removal from US human trafficking watch list

The Ministry of Social Protection yesterday welcomed the latest classification on Trafficking in Persons (TIP), which has seen the country coming off the watch list for TIP, that is, moving from Tier 2 on the Watch List to Tier Two.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: