Water well commissioned at Lethem

President Donald Ramotar on Saturday commissioned a new Guyana Water Incorporated (GWI) well at Lethem.

The Government Infor-mation Agency (GINA) said yesterday that the president was accompanied by Housing and Water Minister Irfaan Ali, Amer-indian Affairs Minister, Pauline Sukhai, Minister of Culture, Youth and Sport, Dr. Frank Anthony and GWI’s Chief Executive Officer, Shaik Baksh.

Ramotar said plans are on stream for another well which will serve the new housing area for domestic use.

GWI’s Chief Executive Officer, Shaik Baksh (third from right) President Donald Ramotar (second from right) and Housing and Water Minister Irfaan Ali (right) check the water flow from the newly commissioned Lethem well. (GINA photo)
GWI’s Chief Executive Officer, Shaik Baksh (third from right) President Donald Ramotar (second from right) and Housing and Water Minister Irfaan Ali (right) check the water flow from the newly commissioned Lethem well. (GINA photo)

“We are already seeing new developments in this region -large scale farming, in Lethem we have been investing a lot in the water sector, in 2009 we invested $17 million; 2010, $58 million; 2011, $47 million; 2012, $25 million, and last year $28 million”, he told the gathering, according to GINA.

Over the past year new wells have also been drilled in Baitoon and Rupertee, the President said.

Ramotar said the administration has been able to achieve water coverage of 98 percent generally and in the interior, this has moved from 25 percent to 71 percent coverage.

“We hope to move into other regions to ensure they have reliable and potable water. Of course communities including, in the Rupununi have shown that it has industrious people and capable people, and over the years, the government has managed in a big way to create the human capital for more rapid development”, he posited.

The President also took the opportunity to condemn the opposition over the 2014 budget cuts.

“It is clear that we can’t take these people at their word. In Parliament the opposition was talking about development west of the Essequibo, but every single project west of the Essequibo that is in this budget in the same budget period they have cut, and the AFC who joined with them we clearly see that their interest is not the people.”

The President added that, “my view is that they want things to get bad in the country with the people, and hope the people will blame the government for some of the problems, but I have total confidence in the collective intelligence of the Guyanese people. I’m sure that people will see through this and reject them for what they are.”

Meanwhile Housing and Water Minister Ali said “When the President assumed office, he made a number of commitments in the manifesto he was elected on, also in his successive policy statements in relation to water, and particularly in relation to the development of Lethem.”

Ali said that in relation to water, the commitment was to have 100 percent coverage in terms of access all across Guyana.

“Here in this region we are pleased with GWI that we have been able to work on the president’s commitment in having almost all of the communities powered by solar driven wells. More than 60 percent of the entire hinterland is covered with at least one solar driven facility”, Ali said, according to GINA.

 

More in Local News

default placeholder

Caribbean series hopes to crack US market with T20 foray

(Reuters) – Chris Gayle and Shane Watson need no introductions in cricket-playing countries but while they are unlikely to become household names in the U.S.

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

default placeholder

Ferry collides with Supenaam stelling

The ferry,  Sabanto  suffered extensive damage after it collided with the Supenaam Stelling last evening and will be out of service until further notice.

The car, PSS 1236 after it stuck the three victims.

Three hospitalised after driver hits visiting St Lucian scouts

A visiting St. Lucian Cub Scout has been critically injured, while another and his mother escaped with minor injuries after they were struck by a car yesterday afternoon near the Scout Association of Guyana headquarters at Woolford Avenue.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: