No report of sexual assaults by NOC staff members, Anthony says

-inmates flee facility, complain of abuse to parents

Minister of Youth, Dr Frank Anthony on Wednesday said there had been no report or any evidence that there had been sexual abuse by staff members of juveniles at the New Opportunity Corps (NOC) facility at Onderneeming after shocking allegations made by recent runaways.

At a press conference, the Minister was replying to allegations that runaways from the correctional facility had alleged sexual abuse by staffers. Parents have also come forward to report that they have been told of cases of physical and sexual abuse of their children, who are among inmates who recently fled from the facility before being recaptured.

Christopher Jones, a Member of Parliament (MP) for the main opposition APNU, who has received reports from some parents, has criticised the minister’s handling of the reports about abuse by both staff and older inmates at the facility, saying that he is fully aware of what is happening and is attempting to cover up the situation.

A statement from the Ministry reported the Minister at the press conference as saying that no report and evidence …..To continue reading, login or subscribe now.



Join the Conversation

After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in you will be asked to log in or register.

The Comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit/delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity. We moderate ALL comments, so your comment will not be published until it has been reviewed by a moderator.