NIS targeting 15 million backlogged records -Luncheon

The National Insurance Scheme (NIS) will have up until the end of 2014 to verify and enter a whopping 15 million backlogged records into its system, Chairman of the NIS Board Dr Roger Luncheon said earlier this week.

Luncheon, who is Head of the Presidential Secretariat, told his weekly post-Cabinet press briefing that the task is long overdue and that with the contributions of both permanent and contracted staff it will be completed by the end of the year.

Luncheon revealed that Cabinet was concerned that the backlog was too large and the administration is committed to providing assistance, including the necessary resources, to get the work done.

The NIS has been a constant source of frustration to the general public. While Luncheon has been insistent that the NIS is not at a crisis level, critics have contested this fact, including Leader of the Opposition David Granger and financial analyst Christopher Ram. They have previously cited the Eighth Actuarial Report that painted a bleak picture of the Scheme and recommended raising the contribution rate from 13% to 15% no later than January 2013, hiking the wage ceiling to $200,000 per month and a phased raising of the pension age from 60 to 65.

So far the NIS has only increased the wage ceiling to $150,628 from March of 2013 and increased the contribution rates from 13% to 14% in June of 2013.

The draft report was announced in October 2012, almost two years onward and the NIS is yet to take critical steps to reform the situation.

The report had revealed that the NIS operates much the same way it did over 40 years ago and in 2011 the NIS experienced its first ever deficit in its 42-year history of $371M.

The 2014 Budget has allocated $226 million to the Scheme. In 2013, NIS received $110 million.

 

More in Local News

Shane Dowrich

Dowrich shines but Windies battling to avoid defeat

NORTH SOUND, Antigua,  CMC – Wicketkeeper Shane Dowrich struck his second half-century in only his third Test but West Indies were staring at a possible innings defeat after being forced to follow-on by India, on the second day of the opening Test here Saturday.

default placeholder

Suspect confessed to murder of Herstelling manager – Police

The Guyana Police Force today said that the suspect in the murder of Herstelling, East Bank Demerara, resident Terry Lackhan has confessed.

Indrawattie Chandradeo and her two remaining sons and her only daughter in tears at their home yesterday

Two men, teen boy found shot to death at Mibicuri Creek

By Bebi Oosman   The bodies of two men and a teenage boy, bearing gunshot wounds, were discovered yesterday at Mibicuri Creek, Black Bush Polder and police had one person in custody up to late last night facing questions about their shocking deaths.

Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson and contractors checking out the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) booth at the procurement symposium for new entrant contractors, which was held at the Arthur Chung Convention Centre yesterday. (Minister of Public Infrastructure photo)

Patterson underlines need for transparency in public procurement

Speaking at a symposium for new and existing contractors, Minister of Public Infrastructure (MPI) David Patterson yesterday stressed the need for transparency in the huge public procurement sector and added that distrust in the system has to be dispelled.

default placeholder

Granger says evidence of dereliction needed for Lawrence’s removal

Minister of Social Protection Volda Lawrence would be removed from office once evidence is presented supporting her dereliction of duty, according to President David Granger, who has lauded her for her work so far.

Dr Madhu Singh (at right) with the team of doctors during the press conference

Dr. Balwant Singh’s Hospital saves heart patient given 48 hours to live

Dr Balwant Singh’s Hospital Inc recently performed its first ever pericardiectomy on a 27-year-old patient who had been given 48 hours to live while hospitalised at another institution.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.



Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: