Commissioners shoot down move to have Gecom PRO act as deputy chief election officer

An attempt to appoint Guyana Elections Commission (Gecom) Public Relations Officer (PRO) Vishnu Persaud to act in the position of Deputy Chief Elections Officer was stymied after three commissioners objected to the proposal.

Stabroek News understands that at the last meeting of Gecom commissioners on Tuesday, a proposal was floated by a senior member of Gecom to appoint Persaud to act in the post. Deputy CEO Calvin Benn is on leave and is not expected to return to the post as he has informed Gecom that he does not want his contract renewed. However, after the proposal was floated, the three opposition commissioners reportedly immediately objected to it and the meeting moved on to other business.

Gecom recently appointed Keith Lowenfield as Chief Election Officer and National Registration Officer as it makes preparations for possible elections. Lowenfield had previously been functioning as acting Deputy CEO while Benn was acting CEO.

Civil society organisations and western missions have urged that all political parties work together for the staging of local government elections by August 1 this year.

These elections have not been held since 1994 and have been repeatedly deferred. New local government bills have been passed and Parliament recently approved a bill to pave the way for elections by August 1, 2014. The bill was not supported by the government.

There have been murmurings from the ruling PPP/C that it is of the view that Gecom might not be adequately prepared and recently, President Donald Ramotar said that government is yet to decide when it will issue the order for Gecom to prepare for local government elections.

Minister of Local Government Norman Whittaker has said that the electorate is not yet ready for polls and more work has to be done with them. Critics have skewered this explanation as being an excuse for avoiding local government polls. Gecom has said that it is ready and awaiting the instruction of government.

Latest in Local News

bkdonald

Tiwari pledged continuing support to PPP in March last year – Ramotar

Former President Donald Ramotar today released a letter written to him by the Head of BK Inc Brian Tiwari on March 23rd last year pledging continuing support to the PPP and best wishes for the then upcoming general elections.

default placeholder

Crane man shot after chopping wife, child to death

A man this morning chopped his wife and two-year-old child to death at Crane, West Coast Demerara and wounded his mother.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: