[Video] LEAD project on hold for talks between Guyana, US

Guyana and the United States this morning announced that they have agreed to “immediately” put the controversial $300M Leadership and Democracy (LEAD) Project on hold to facilitate talks between the two sides.

Head of the Presidential Secretariat Dr. Roger Luncheon and United States Ambassador Brendt Hardt this morning at a press conference at the Office of the President, made the joint announcement.

“The governments of Guyana and the United States of America have agreed that the implementation of the activities of the USAID LEAD project would be put on hold temporarily during the re-engagement on the design of that project…the two sides have agreed would commence immediately,” the announcement stated.

The US envoy said “It is our sincere hope that the re-engagement we begin today can address all outstanding concerns related to the LEAD programme and allow us to chart a way forward in the spirit of the partnership that has traditionally characterized our bilateral relationship”.

The US Ambassador said that he remains optimistic that the talks will be completed by the end of his tenure here in July this year.

Luncheon told Stabroek News that while critics may claim that the government wants the project to be stalled indefinitely this was highly unlikely. “I would say this to you it is not impossible but highly unlikely to happen,” he repeated three times, stressing on “not impossible”.

Video

The announcement today followed months of bruising exchanges between the two sides. The government was adamant that the project not go ahead while the US was equally insistent that it would proceed notwithstanding the government’s objections. Aspects of the project continued here despite the government’s objections. Matters came to a head last week when the government revoked the work permit of the head of the project, Glen Bradbury.

Last week in an interview with GINA, President Donald Ramotar said that the LEAD project was not needed here. Ramotar and other government officials have alleged that Guyana was not consulted on it. The US has strongly denied this. Government officials had also complained that the project was making money available to political parties. The US had also strenuously denied this.

 

Latest in Local News

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

default placeholder

‘What’s in the cup, stays in the cup’

People’s Progressive Party (PPP) General Secretary Clement Rohee says “What’s in the cup stays in the cup,” in response to a question on whether the matter involving PPP/C Member of Parliament (MP), Nigel Dharamlall over threats he allegedly made, has been explained to the party’s satisfaction.

Carlton Beckles

Lethem Council sees agro-processing focus for Industrial Site 

The first municipal council of Lethem, Region Nine sees agro-processing as a key focus for the Lethem Industrial Site. Mayor of the recently commissioned township of Lethem, Carlton Beckles told GINA that the completion of the industrial area, with an emphasis on agro-processing is among priorities that the council has set to accomplish before it demits office.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: