Sammy retires from tests after Ramdin takes WI captaincy

(Reuters) – West Indies all-rounder Darren Sammy announced his retirement from test cricket today after he was replaced as captain by wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin.

The 30-year-old Sammy, who played in 38 tests and all but eight of them as skipper, remains the captain of the West Indies Twenty20 team and also intends to continue playing ODI cricket.

“Darren Sammy has formally notified the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) of his decision to retire from test cricket,” the WICB said in a statement.

“Sammy has also informed the board of his decision to continue to make himself available for selection for the other formats of the game.

“Sammy, in his communication to the board thanked the directors, the selectors and team management for the confidence shown in him as a player and captain which he served as from October 2010 to May 2014.”

While he is well-liked and a respected figure, Sammy often batted low down the order in test cricket and his medium-pace bowling was much less effective than in shorter forms of the game.

That raised some critics to question whether the St Lucian merited a place in the team despite generally positive views of his influence as captain.

Sammy averaged 21.68 with the bat and made just one test century, while he took 84 test wickets at an average of 35.79.

Ramdin, 29, will take charge for June’s three-test home series against New Zealand.

“It is something very special to represent the people of the West Indies and to be named to the lead the test team and chart the course forward is humbling and extra special,” said the Trinidadian.

“I am taking over from Darren who did a good job while he was at the helm. He is a very humble and hardworking cricketer and during his time at the helm we won six matches and gave his all to the job.

“I am a very calm individual and I will bring that level of calmness to the job and to the team as we look to move forward and build a winning test team which will make the people of the West Indies proud,” he said.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

default placeholder

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

default placeholder

Norway team ‘horrified’ at bauxite mining in pilot village Muritaro

A private bauxite mining operation in the Amerindian community of Muritaro on the Demerara River, discovered by members of a “horrified” team from Norway, was shut down by the Ministry of Natural Resources late last year, since the community was one identified to benefit from the Guyana-Norway forest protection scheme.

default placeholder

New candidate identified to head Bid Protest Committee

Attorney at Law Joann Bond will now head the recently-constituted Bid Protest Committee (BPC) established under the Procurement Act, well-placed sources say.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: