I had no choice but to quit, says Sammy

DELHI, India, CMC – Darren Sammy says his decision to quit Test cricket came after he realised he was no longer part of the future plans of the West Indies team, in the game’s longer version.

The Windward Islands all-rounder, who was axed as captain last Friday after nearly four years in charge, said he “had no choice” but to retire after speaking to West Indies selectors and hearing the opinions of the team and its management.

“It was something I thought about after I discussed with the selectors. After listening to the management and teams’ views about the way they needed to move to the next level in Test cricket, I understood that my role wasn’t needed as captain or player. This was the way forward,” Sammy said here.

“Now West Indies cricket is at a new dispensation. It has a new force and direction and I am no longer required to play a role in Tests. I had no choice but to retire from Test cricket.”

Sammy sent shockwaves through the Caribbean when he announced his retirement from Tests late last Friday. The decision came just hours after the West Indies Cricket Board axed him as captain in favour of wicketkeeper Denesh Ramdin.

Darren Sammy
Darren Sammy

He remains Twenty20 captain and available for selection to the one-day team.

The 30-year-old, who is currently involved in his second season in the Indian Premier League where he turns out for Sunrisers Hyderabad, dismissed suggestions his involvement in the lucrative Twenty20 tournament had influenced his retirement.

“I am having a great time in IPL. But my decision was not based on IPL or things like this,” Sammy stressed.

“It was solely on the direction the Test team was heading and there were no plans for me as a captain and as a player.”

Sammy was appointed West Indies captain in November, 2010 following Chris Gayle’s tenure, and has been credited with returning stability and discipline to the side.

However, his personal record – he averages 21 with the bat and 35 with the ball – came under constant scrutiny along with West Indies’ continuing struggles in Test cricket. Heavy losses to India in New Zealand on away tours last year increased the pressure on Sammy.

His axing as Test captain comes a year after he was also relieved of his duties as one-day captain, with experienced all-rounder Dwayne Bravo taking over at the helm.

Sammy said it was important to deal with change when it occurred.

“It is not about right or wrong. I was captain at point of stage of all formats. I was asked to captain at a time when the team needed stability. Change is inevitable,” he pointed out.

“Sometimes we might not like it. Sometimes we may not agree with but we have to accept it.”

Sammy led West Indies in 30 of his 38 Tests, finishing with eight wins, 12 defeats and 10 draws.

 

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

default placeholder

Ministry welcomes removal from US human trafficking watch list

The Ministry of Social Protection yesterday welcomed the latest classification on Trafficking in Persons (TIP), which has seen the country coming off the watch list for TIP, that is, moving from Tier 2 on the Watch List to just Tier Two.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: