NAREI finalising plan to revitalise coconut industry

The National Agricultural Research and Extension Institute (NAREI) is in the process of finalising a 2020 plan that will address replenishing the ageing coconut plantation industry as there is an urgent need to replant with improved varieties.

NAREI CEO Dr Oudho Homenauth made this announcement during a recent interview with the Government Information Agency (GINA), a report said. He said that the plan will examine replenishing the coconut industry through improving the varieties or through fertilisation and the management of pests and diseases. It will also examine maintaining the estates.

Meanwhile, this year the institute will focus on a number of areas to advance the industry such as improving the quality of virgin coconut oil, sourcing equipment for processing for small groups, certifying the product and examining the production of coconut powder, not just coconut milk.

Attention is also being given to managing pests and diseases that attack the coconut plant. Currently, NAREI is working, in collaboration with the Food and Agricultural Organisa-tion (FAO), in Wakenaam treating the red palm mite infestation there. Accord-ing to Dr Homenauth, the institute is trying to control and manage the disease by initially employing chemical control though the long-term goal is to rear natural enemies such as lacewing beetles that would feed on the mites.

Over the years government has taken steps to revive the industry through workshops, exhibitions and training since its aim is to resuscitate it to such a level that it will create jobs.

Government has been pursuing support from India and several South American countries in this endeavour, particularly to obtain new varieties. It has been receiving support from the FAO and the Government of India in making the industry more vibrant and competitive.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

default placeholder

Ministry welcomes removal from US human trafficking watch list

The Ministry of Social Protection yesterday welcomed the latest classification on Trafficking in Persons (TIP), which has seen the country coming off the watch list for TIP, that is, moving from Tier 2 on the Watch List to just Tier Two.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: