No report of NOC abuse was made to police – Crime Chief

Crime Chief Leslie James yesterday said that no formal report was made to the Guyana Police Force about the allegations of sexual and physical abuse reportedly committed on inmates of the New Opportunity Corps (NOC) at the facility.

“Nothing formal has been said to us,” James told Stabroek News yesterday when contacted on the issue. However, James did reveal that the police would soon speak with the four girls who were recently removed from the institution by the Child Care and Protection Agency (CC&PA).

Two Fridays ago, the CC&PA was granted permission via a court order to remove the four girls from the facility and they are now in protective custody.

Stabroek News was told that the girls were expected to be interviewed by a multi-disciplinary committee—comprising personnel from both the police and the agency—last Thursday as the investigation got on its way.

According to James, despite reports of the allegations in the media, not even the commander of the Division in which NOC falls was aware of a formal report. He said that instead of the parents of the children going to the police, they went straight to the media. “Nothing has been reported to us by the virtual complainants…,” he said, adding that the Ministry of Human Services, and specifically the department which deals with child welfare, is looking at the matter.

The four girls have alleged to have been sexually and physically abused by staff members at the institution. They also reported that after they had escaped on March 22, boys from the institution would visit their hide out and take food for them but demanded sex in exchange. The girls also told their parents of being placed in what the NOC officials have now said is a “quiet room” but which the children said was the “detention room” where they were made to stay in various forms of undress for long periods. They alleged too that they were denied food while in the room and were given a bucket instead of being allowed access to toilets.

Youth Minister Frank Anthony, who said no report of abuse was made to his ministry, has welcomed the investigation, saying neither the ministry nor the NOC has anything to hide.

He said he had since ordered that the staff members cooperate fully with the investigators and that should anyone be found culpable justice would be served.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Confident Windies seek happy ending

BRIDGETOWN, Barbados, CMC – West Indies will seek to write a happy ending to a promising Tri-Nations campaign when they clash with Australia in Sunday’s final, in a contest that brings together the champions of the Twenty20 and 50-overs World Cups.

default placeholder

Gov’t needs to put more money in economy – private sector head

The Private Sector Commission (PSC) says it is willing to work with the government in all of its endeavours but it needs to increase spending in the economy.

default placeholder

Private sector calls for full public debate on parking meters

Full public debate on the proposed installation of parking meters in the capital was called for yesterday by the Private Sector Commission (PSC).

Ivelaw Lloyd Griffith

No politics at UG

Less than two weeks after he assumed office as the Tenth Vice Chancellor of the University of Guyana Professor Ivelaw Lloyd Griffith has said that he is not prepared to be the VC of a university where politics intrudes and undermines the work of students and faculty.

default placeholder

Cops getting crowd control training in China

Twenty ranks of the Guyana Police Force (GPF) are now in China undergoing specialised training, GINA said on Thursday. Minister of Public Security Khemraj Ramjattan said the training is a result of a promise previously made by the Chinese government.

default placeholder

Guyana awaiting UN chief’s move on border controversy

Minister of Foreign Affairs Carl Greenidge yesterday assured that United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon is still actively considering the way forward to resolve the Guyana-Venezuela border controversy.

default placeholder

Fury over some appointments to Linden TV station Board

The addition of some persons to the Board of Trustees of Region 10 Broadcasting Inc (RBI) has generated controversy with at least one regional councillor threatening protests over the appointments and the manner in which they were done.

Robin Raymond Elkanah Gordon

Body of missing Parfait Harmonie man pulled from canal

The partially decomposed body of a man who was missing for two days, was yesterday afternoon found in a canal at Onderneeming, Parfait Harmonie, West Bank Demerara, a short distance from his home.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: