Bel Air miner jailed again on gun, ammo charges

-one month after release

Just a month after completing a two-year prison term for illegal possession of a gun and ammunition, a Bel Air Village pork-knocker was yesterday sentenced to two 56-month sentences for similar crimes.

Ewart George, 23, of 19 Bel Air Village, had appeared a mere seven days ago to answer to the charges that he, on May 13, had a .38 revolver along with three rounds of matching ammunition.

Last week, George had pleaded not guilty to the charges.

It was the police’s case that police on patrol stopped a taxi bearing licence plate HC 2240 and informed the occupants

Ewart George
Ewart George

that the vehicle needed to be searched. The search revealed a gun and ammunition hidden underneath the front left passenger seat, where George had been seated at the time.

Once more before Magistrate Judy Latchman, the unrepresented George was yesterday sentenced to prison after Prosecutor Joel Ricknauth was able to establish, beyond a reasonable doubt, that he was guilty of the crimes.

Before declaring the man’s guilt, Magistrate Latchman read at length the case’s facts. She concluded, “I believe beyond a reasonable doubt that the defendant knew he possessed a firearm and ammunition.”

The illegal items had reportedly been found in a bag. Though the bag was pinned as belonging to George, the man vehemently denied ownership since his appearance in court last week. “I didn’t know anything about any gun,” he said. He continued, “I never went into any taxi with any bag. The bag wasn’t my bag.”

Two years ago, George had been sentenced to two years imprisonment by Magistrate Latchman for a similar crime. He explained that he had been released from jail only a month ago.

When given an opportunity to speak, the man reiterated his innocence. “I don’t even know what I’m doing here,” George said. “This is the second time you’re sentencing me for something I have no knowledge of; Father knows it.”

Magistrate Latchman questioned whether he had appealed his previous conviction. However, George said he had not and had instead served his entire term.

Latchman explained that she had taken “mitigating circumstances” into consideration along with his antecedents and the seriousness and prevalence of the offences. For each of his charges, he was sentenced to 56 months imprisonment. The sentences will, however, run concurrently.

George was also ordered to pay $160,000 in fines.

Following the decision, relatives and friends of the man stormed out of the courtroom. One woman slammed the door behind her before bursting into tears. Officers ordered her out of the compound while others called for her to be charged with disorderly behaviour.

However, the distraught woman promptly exited the compound before any charge could be instituted.

According to Prosecutor Ricknauth, five witnesses had testified in the matter, including the taxi driver and four police officers.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Stabroek Rotary installs new President and Board

The Rotary Club of Stabroek, Georgetown recently inaugurated its new President and Board of Directors for 2016-2017, at a ceremony held at the Pegasus Hotel.

The car, PSS 1236 after it stuck the three victims.

Driver in accident with St Lucian cubs jailed for 10 months

The police today said that the driver of the motor vehicle who was involved in an accident with two St Lucian cub scouts has been jailed for 10 months.

default placeholder

Draft bill sees state assets recovery via civil proceedings

The draft State Assets Recovery Bill 2016 envisages non-conviction based, civil recoveries of property over $10m with a 12-year limitation period and wide powers will be available to the agency to be set up under the law to gather information.

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: