Recaptured prisoner says paid cop $60,000 for hospital escape

-sentenced to two years

Dexroy Brown, the prisoner who escaped from the Georgetown Public Hospital (GPH) over two months ago, yesterday said that he paid a policeman $60,000 for his freedom.

Brown, 21, made an appearance in court before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry, who sentenced him to serve two years in jail after he admitted that he had indeed escaped police custody on March 9 while under guard at the GPH.

When given an opportunity to explain himself, Brown said that he had been in his hospital room when he was approached by his assigned police guard. At the time of the officer’s approach, Brown said, he had $60,000 in cash on his person. He added that the guard offered to “help him out” in exchange for the money.

A plan was hatched between the men in which the captive would make his escape while the officer “slept.” Brown’s shackles were released and, at about 2:30am the man walked freely out of the hospital.

Dexroy Brown
Dexroy Brown

He had managed to avoid the police for almost three months until his recent apprehension. Following his arrest, the officer he had allegedly colluded with denied any knowledge of an escape plan, he said.

Magistrate Sewnarine-Beharry ordered an investigation to be launched into the allegations made by Brown.

The prisoner’s escape had led to the close arrest of the officer that had been tasked with guarding him. Questions had been raised on whether Brown had been shackled to his hospital bed prior to his escape.

Before sentencing the man, Sewnarine-Beharry questioned whether he had ever been placed before the courts for any crime. He admitted that he had been charged for minor matters, such as threatening language and disorderly behaviour.

While handing down her decision, the magistrate explained that she had taken a number of factors into consideration, including the fact that Brown appeared to have no remorse for his actions. A prison term of two years was decided upon.

Brown is still to face judgment on the two charges that began it all. He had initially been scheduled to make an appearance before the Chief Magistrate on March 10 with his co-accused, David Bernard. Both men, nabbed during a routine stop and search exercise in the Sophia area on March 6, were charged with illegal possession of guns and ammunition. The charges alleged that the men had in their possessions a 9mm pistol and a .38 snub-nosed revolver along with one live round of 9mm ammunition and six live rounds of .38 ammunition.

According to the police, at about 8pm on the date in question, police ranks were on patrol in ‘B’ Field, Sophia when they saw the defendants approaching on a CG motorcycle. Bernard, it was said, was riding while Brown was his passenger. The men were stopped by the police who conducted a search and discovered the guns along with the ammunition under the vehicle’s seat.

They were both told of the offences by the ranks. However, Brown made an escape bid, during which he was shot by a police officer. It was his shooting which led to his hospitalisation.

Bernard had pleaded not guilty to the charge when it was read to him on March 10. However, Brown was noticeably missing to answer to the charge.

During yesterday’s proceedings, Brown was also allowed to plead to the gun-related charges. The man denied both. He will return on June 2, once more before the Chief Magistrate.

 

Latest in Local News

Joel Ganesh

Crane man hacks wife, toddler to death

-leaves mom critical after severing hand A Crane, West Coast Demerara man early yesterday morning butchered his wife and two-year-old-son and critically wounded his mother during a rampage that was eventually brought to an end when he was shot by the police.

An excerpt of the letter released by former president Donald Ramotar

Ramotar releases letter showing Tiwarie backing for PPP up to month before polls

Former President Donald Ramotar yesterday released a letter written by prominent businessman Brian Tiwarie pledging his support to the PPP a month before the May, 2015 general elections that ended the party’s 23-year reign.

default placeholder

Minister blames negligence for improper disposal of foetus at Diamond Hospital

Following recent reports of a foetus being mutilated at the Diamond Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has attributed the incident to negligence and stated that the responsible party will likely be sanctioned.

default placeholder

Sweeping insurance bill passes, central bank powers boosted

Using its one-seat majority, the government early Friday morning passed the sweeping Insurance Bill 2016 which fortifies a regulatory role for the Bank of Guyana and seeks to prevent a CLICO-type meltdown in the sector here.

Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson yesterday inspecting works done so far on Carifesta Avenue, where the flags and courts of arms of the Caricom member states have been mounted ahead of next week’s Heads of Government summit. Inset are the flag and coat of arms of Haiti. See story on page 2. (Photo by Keno George)

Carifesta Ave, Ogle Airport road to be ready for Caricom summit

The preliminary upgrade and rehabilitation of Carifesta Avenue and the Ogle Airport Road, respectively, are almost complete and these thoroughfares will be ready for use from today Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson has said.

default placeholder

Pre-elections VAT reduction promise was ‘imprudent’

President David Granger has called the elections promise by the APNU+AFC to reduce Value Added Tax (VAT) within its first 100 days in office “imprudent.” Asked on this week’s “The Public Interest” programme if his coalition’s promise of a reduction in VAT was no more than an election gimmick, Granger said that while it is still possible that VAT will be reduced, it has not happened yet because the money is not there.

default placeholder

No non-essential travel by ministers – Granger

President David Granger is not convinced that his ministers have been embarking on non-essential travel. In fact, he maintains that his Cabinet ensures that all travel done by ministers is in the “national interest.” The president was asked this week on the televised programme, “The Public Interest,” whether he believed ministers of government were engaging in non-essential travel and if this matter had been discussed.

A frontal view of the building, as seen on Thursday.

Workers gets safety gear after electrocution at Robb St building site

The remaining workers at a Robb Street building site, where a workman was electrocuted nearly three weeks ago, have since been equipped with safety gear and measures have been taken to cover up the wires in front of the building.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: