Sooba ordered to respond to application for removal

Justice Diana Insanally yesterday ordered that government’s Town Clerk appointee Carol Sooba show cause why she should not be removed from the post.

The order is based on an application to the High Court by City Hall spokesman Royston King for a rule nisi to be issued to Sooba and Local Government Minister Norman Whittaker to show cause why information in the nature of a quo warranto (a writ formerly requiring a person to show by what authority he/she exercises a public office) should not be exhibited against Sooba.

The matter was held in chambers but King’s attorney Nigel Hughes told Stabroek News shortly after the hearing had ended that an order for Sooba to show cause as to why she should not be removed from the position of Town Clerk was granted by Justice Insanally. Sooba is expected to appear in court with her lawyers on June 2 in relation to this matter.

The granting of the order came as arguments continued over the ruling last month by acting Chief Justice Ian Chang on the legality of former Local Government Minister Ganga Persaud’s appointment of Sooba as well as her own petition to the court to challenge City Council’s efforts to force her out.

 Carol Sooba
Carol Sooba

In the Court of Appeal yesterday morning, judges heard arguments by Attorney General Anil Nandlall, attorney Roysdale Forde, who is presenting Sooba, and Hughes.

Stabroek News was later told that during the hearing Forde asked for a stay of execution of the Chief Justice’s order quashing Sooba’s appointment as Town Clerk. Forde said that the former minister had legal authority to appoint Sooba and therefore she was rightfully selected and he noted that he was forced to file a quo warranto on her behalf last Thursday because the Mayor and City Council were attempting to appoint King as the new Town Clerk.

This newspaper understands too that Hughes in his arguments said that if even if Sooba was not granted a stay of execution, she will suffer no consequences because she does not occupy the office of Town Clerk.

Nandlall said the judges reserved their ruling and will send out a notice when it is ready.

Justice Chang last month found that Persaud’s decision to appoint Sooba as the Town was illegal.

“It is the finding of the court that the Minister acted ultra vires the provisions of the Municipal and District Councils Act, Chapter 28:01 and his decision to appoint Carol Sooba as Town Clerk must be quashed,” Justice Chang told the court.

However, he added that his decision does not prevent Sooba from continuing to perform the functions of Town Clerk as the de facto Town Clerk. It needed a direct challenge by quo warranto to the authority of Sooba to bring her de facto to an end, Justice Chang said. King has since initiated these proceedings.

Meanwhile, during a hearing on Sooba’s application to block her removal by the Mayor and City Council, Hughes asked Justice Chang if he would recuse himself from the matter, while suggesting that there had been contradictions in his judgment on the matter. This charge followed the decision by the Chief Justice last week to grant Sooba eight temporary orders, including an order quashing the council decision to remove her as Town Clerk, an order quashing the decision to send her on administrative leave, orders quashing the decision to appoint, install and swear-in King, unless cause is shown why the decisions are not unlawful. One of the orders restrained King from seizing the office of the Town Clerk, from entering or discharging any powers or duties of the office.

However, Justice Chang informed Hughes that he had no intention of recusing himself at that point in time and Hughes was subsequently given six days to put his arguments in writing. It was agreed that within three days following the handing in of the affidavit, Justice Chang will make a decision on Hughes suggestion.

This matter continues on June 5 at the High Court.

 

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Resource ambassadors raise $14.5m for UG

Education resource ambassadors from various parts of the world who were recently here for a conference on improving UG have raised $14.5m for the university.

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: