Youth charged with Kitty wake house robbery

Accused of robbing a ‘wake house,’ a 19-year-old man was yesterday remanded to prison after pleading not guilty to two counts of robbery.

Kurt Simeon denied that he stole more than $260,000 worth of items on April 14. The first charge against him alleged that the youth, at Shell Road, Kitty, robbed Shahab Ally of over $250,000 in items, including $200,000 in cash and a $50,000 BlackBerry cellular phone.

According to the second charge, Simeon, while in the company of others and being armed with a gun, robbed Anand Kishore Sunilall of a $7,000 Ice Mobile phone.

It is the police’s case that the victims were attending a wake when the defendant and two other persons robbed them, along with several others. According to Prosecutor Deniro Jones, only two of the victims came forward to report the attack. Simeon was later identified in the Albouystown area by one of the victims after the police had been summoned.

Attorney-at-law George Thomas requested reasonable bail for Simeon. According to Thomas, his client is not a flight risk and had no pending matters. The lawyer added that the defendant and Ally are known to each other and share animosity between them. He further stated that Simeon was the victim of a “one man identification parade.”

In reply, Prosecutor Jones denied that the defendant and one of the virtual complainants are known to each other. Jones also objected to bail and noted that the Albouystown address supplied to the court by Simeon’s lawyer was not the same as a previously given address in Eccles.

Simeon was subsequently remanded to prison by Magistrate Ann McLennan and will make his next appearance before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry on May 29.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Warriors win nail-biter

The Guyana Amazon Warriors began their 2016 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) T20 title pursuit with a four-wicket win over the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots with one ball to spare in last night’s match played at Warner Park.

Omar Shariff

Ministry of the Presidency official Shariff sent on leave pending SOCU investigation

Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of the Presidency (MOTP), Omar Shariff has been sent on leave by Minister of State, Joseph Harmon, a release from MOTP said today.

default placeholder

Body found in rubble of Wales fire

At 01:30hrs today, police say that a fire destroyed a home at Wales, West Bank Demerara, and the body of an unidentified person was subsequently discovered among the rubble.

default placeholder

Exxon Mobil says second well confirms `significant’ oil find

Exxon Mobil Corporation today said that drilling results from the Liza-2 well, the second exploration well in the Stabroek block offshore Guyana, confirm a world-class find with a recoverable deposit of between 800 million and 1.4 billion oil-equivalent barrels.

default placeholder

Proposed law bans smoking in public places

Proposed tobacco control legislation will see a ban on smoking in public places while cigarette advertising will no longer be allowed and pictorial and text health warnings will have to be displayed on at least 75% of the packaging on tobacco products.

default placeholder

$800M in specialty hospital steel ‘awarded’ to BK

Government needs to explain why about $800 million worth of steel and other equipment that were earmarked for the now-frozen specialty hospital project, went solely to businessman Brian Tiwarie, former President Donald Ramotar says.

Ezekiel Murray

Truck driver jailed for three years for crash causing child’s death

Clyde Barker, the truck driver who was accused of running over 12-year-old Ezekiel Murray along the Friendship Public Road last year and causing his death, was yesterday sentenced to 3 years imprisonment.

default placeholder

Businessman jailed and fined over gun, ammo possession

A businessman was yesterday sentenced to two years imprisonment and fined $100,000 after being found guilty of illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: