Lodge man sentenced for 18 months for abusing teenage girlfriend

A Lodge man will be spending the next 18 months in jail after being found guilty of abusing and threatening his teenage girlfriend.

Lennox Cort after his sentencing yesterday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.
Lennox Cort after his sentencing yesterday at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

Lennox Cort, 30, was yesterday found guilty of wounding and threatening 17-year-old girlfriend Roshauna Semple.

Cort, of 1717 Norton Street, Lodge, had maintained his innocence of the allegation that he, on May 5th, at his residence, dealt Semple several cuffs to her body and mouth, during a misunderstanding.

According to Prosecutor Jomo Nichols, Cort on the day in question, also threw her down the stairs and later took a piece of brick from the yard and hit Semple to the left side of her ear, causing her to receive injuries.

Additionally, Nichols said that Cort threatened to kill Semple. At that point, Nichols said, Semple ran into a neighbour’s yard for refuge. She subsequently reported the matter to the police before seeking medical attention at a hospital. Cort was later arrested and charged. The court heard that Cort was sentenced for nine months on a similar offence, and also 12 months for escaping lawful custody.

Following an examination of Semple’s injuries and stating that she considered all the mitigating factors, Magistrate Geeta Chandan-Edmond handed down the sentence.

Cort was sentenced to 14 months for the wounding charge and four months for using threatening language towards Semple.

More in Local News

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

default placeholder

Norway team ‘horrified’ at bauxite mining in pilot village Muritaro

A private bauxite mining operation in the Amerindian community of Muritaro on the Demerara River, discovered by members of a “horrified” team from Norway, was shut down by the Ministry of Natural Resources late last year, since the community was one identified to benefit from the Guyana-Norway forest protection scheme.

default placeholder

New candidate identified to head Bid Protest Committee

Attorney at Law Joann Bond will now head the recently-constituted Bid Protest Committee (BPC) established under the Procurement Act, well-placed sources say.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: