CCJ affirms sentences of Guyanese felons

Two convicted Guyanese felons have failed in their last bid to secure freedom after their appeal of four-year sentences was thrown out by the Caribbean Court of Justice (CCJ).

The Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in a press release yesterday said that the CCJ delivered a majority verdict and affirmed the 4-year jail sentences imposed on convicted felons Paul Lashley and John Campayne by Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry on December 28, 2012.

The State was represented by Sir Fenton Ramsahoye QC in Trinidad and Assistant Director of Public Prosecutions Sonia Joseph at the Guyana Court Appeal building.

Giving some background for the case, the release said that on June 15, 2012 contrary to Section 229 (a) of the Criminal Law (Offences) Act, Caption 8:01, the police instituted the indictable charge of break and enter against the two defendants/appellants, 23 year-old sales rep, Paul Lashley and 2l year-old technician/goldminer John Campayne, of two laptop computers, two safes, $380,000 (30,000 Indian rupees), $925,000 and US$2,740 property of Hemant Narine.

The offence was committed between Sunday June 10, 2012 and Monday June 11, 2012 at Industrial Safety Supplies Inc in Georgetown.

After hearing the indictable matter summarily, the Chief Magistrate, correctly found both the applicants guilty and sentenced them to four years imprisonment, the release said adding that the two convicts appealed their sentences to the Guyana Court of Appeal but it was dismissed.

The duo then applied for special leave to the CCJ to hear their appeal, which was granted. The application for special leave to appeal was heard on February 18, 20I4 at the Guyana International Conference Centre where a special sitting of the CCJ had been held.

The release said that yesterday the CCJ dismissed the appeal, reaffirmed the the 4-year sentences and credited the 2 appellants with 4 days that they spent on remand.

Latest in Local News

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

default placeholder

‘What’s in the cup, stays in the cup’

People’s Progressive Party (PPP) General Secretary Clement Rohee says “What’s in the cup stays in the cup,” in response to a question on whether the matter involving PPP/C Member of Parliament (MP), Nigel Dharamlall over threats he allegedly made, has been explained to the party’s satisfaction.

Carlton Beckles

Lethem Council sees agro-processing focus for Industrial Site 

The first municipal council of Lethem, Region Nine sees agro-processing as a key focus for the Lethem Industrial Site. Mayor of the recently commissioned township of Lethem, Carlton Beckles told GINA that the completion of the industrial area, with an emphasis on agro-processing is among priorities that the council has set to accomplish before it demits office.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: