Gov’t plans $100M clean-up for Le Repentir Cemetery

-Mayor sees ‘cosmetic’ operation

Over the course of the next six months more than $100 million is expected to be spent to clean up the Le Repentir Cemetery in what Georgetown Mayor Hamilton Green is calling a “mere cosmetic operation” by the government.

At a press conference on Monday, acting Local Government Minister Norman Whittaker had said that works at the cemetery will include desilting of drains, reactivating of kokers and the removal of garbage from illegal dumping sites, a release from Government Information Agency (GINA) said.

For years, Le Repentir cemetery has been in poor condition and there have been sporadic efforts by the government and city council to improve the situation.

In March, during the budget presentation, Fin-ance Minister Dr. Ashni Singh had said that $1 billion will be spent on a countrywide clean-up campaign and $500 million of this would go towards enhancing the general physical environment of the capital.

Overgrown bushes at the Le Repentir Cemetery
Overgrown bushes at the Le Repentir Cemetery

Whittaker was also quoted as saying that the services of the inmates of the Georgetown Prisons would be used for the clearing of the bush, while tenders will be advertised for the clearing of drains and road works.

Asked whether the council was consulted by the Ministry, Green said, “It is unfortunate that government is proceeding to announce and do things without the sophistication of consulting or informing city council.”

He added, “This is another government propaganda blitz to diminish the role of City Hall,” he added. Shortly after the announcement in March, Deputy Mayor Patricia Chase-Green had said that the figure of $500 million was “just a teardrop in the ocean” and that she would have liked for the council and the minister to have discussions on how to spend the money in Georgetown.

Meanwhile, Whittaker had also said that a technical committee comprising representatives from different ministries and agencies has been established to spearhead the clean-up campaign.

Green, however, said that he was unaware of anyone from the council being on the committee. Stabroek News understands that the council’s Solid Waste Director Walter Narine is on the committee.

Green also spoke of a parliamentary motion for the clean-up of the capital by APNU MP Volda Lawerence that was ignored by the government.

“Government’s insincerity is demonstrated by the fact that last year Parliament unanimously approved programme for the rehabilitation of Georgetown…Govern-ment has failed to implement that programme,” he said.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Stabroek Rotary installs new President and Board

The Rotary Club of Stabroek, Georgetown recently inaugurated its new President and Board of Directors for 2016-2017, at a ceremony held at the Pegasus Hotel.

The car, PSS 1236 after it stuck the three victims.

Driver in accident with St Lucian cubs jailed for 10 months

The police today said that the driver of the motor vehicle who was involved in an accident with two St Lucian cub scouts has been jailed for 10 months.

default placeholder

Draft bill sees state assets recovery via civil proceedings

The draft State Assets Recovery Bill 2016 envisages non-conviction based, civil recoveries of property over $10m with a 12-year limitation period and wide powers will be available to the agency to be set up under the law to gather information.

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: