Komal Chand wants full accounting for money given to sugar industry

…before considering offer of board position

Head of the Guyana Agricultural and General Workers Union (GAWU), Komal Chand would like to see a full and comprehensive breakdown of funding given to the sugar industry in recent years before considering an offer of appointment to the GuySuCo Board of Directors.

Chand told Stabroek News on Tuesday that if the Guyana Sugar Corporation and President Donald Ramotar were serious about overhauling the industry the full financial disclosure had to become an integral part of any measures to rebrand and rehabilitate the struggling sector. He told Stabroek News that the President’s decision on Monday to offer him a position on the GuySuCo board had not been finalized.

GAWU has long sought a seat on the GuySuco board and Ramotar’s offer on Monday at the annual Enmore Martyrs commemoration appeared to be an attempt to defuse the stinging attack on management of the sugar corporation by Chand who had spoken before the President.

Chand’s criticism on Monday of the GuySuCo management and the government again exhibited the deep divide over the state of the sugar industry. GAWU, a longstanding ally of the ruling party, has grown increasingly critical of how the corporation and the government have been handling the industry.

Speaking to Stabroek News on Tuesday in the aftermath of the offer on Monday, Chand said that the current board had to be reconfigured once it expired and a new board could be finalized by the end of July. Chand stated that there had been public statements by both the President and the Agriculture Minister, Dr Leslie Ramsammy, however the board could take up to an additional month to be finalized.

Komal Chand
Komal Chand

He said that his impression after the President’s address at Monday’s event was that the board may not be announced by July. Chand stated that he would prefer to speak about the potential appointment after the offer is concretised, noting that the President merely made an announcement on the issue.

Chand reiterated to Stabroek News that the sugar industry was facing real problems and that those needed to be addressed. “You know I’ve said it before, I said it at Enmore again…the (GuySuCo) board is headless,” Chand declared. He continued that the management system was flawed and the appointment of the previous board chairman, Rajendra Singh to the position of CEO did little to ease worries over the management structure of the state-owned company.

He said that the over $31 billion that was handed over for the industry by the European Union (EU) as the accompanying measures to the reform of the EU sugar regime needed to be broken down. Chand noted that the President and GuySuCo have made the case that the government had given more to the industry than the EU’s contributions. “They said they have given more to the industry, so they can show it”. He told Stabroek News that the union would welcome a financial analysis of how the various monies inclusive of government subventions were broken down.

“If they say that they have given more than that let them disclose and we will then get from the EU a report from them to show just how much was released to the government…we still insist that all disbursements have not been made and they just keep saying general statements. Clear the air otherwise we don’t have any appointments”, Chand stated.

During his address at Enmore, Chand had noted that a new board was   long overdue. President Ramotar then invited Chand to sit on the next GuySuCo Board.

The offer was made publicly before an audience of government and other officials. The president had disagreed with Chand’s assessment of the industry and instead blamed climate change, the discontinuation of preferential trade agreements with the EU and labour shortages for the problems confronting Guyana’s sugar sector.

He did not offer any explanation on the expenditure of the EU funds. Instead, he told those gathered that “the [Guyana] government has been supporting the industry in many ways. As far as the [EU] money is concerned, let me say that the money that the government puts into the industry is more than the money that we get from the EU….”

Chand was one of two union leaders invited to address the rally. The other was President of the umbrella body FITUG, Carvil Duncan

 

 

 

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Increased venues, franchises in pipeline as CPL seeks expansion

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad,  CMC – Caribbean Premier League organisers say they will explore pushing the increasingly popular Twenty20 tournament into Asia, as well as expanding the number of franchises involved and hosting them in North American cities.

default placeholder

Grade Six results to be released Tuesday

The Ministry of Education today said that results of the National Grade Six Assessment –NGSA will be released on Tuesday, July 5, 2016.

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: