Row over sheep in rice field lands Middlesex man attempted murder charge

An argument over whether sheep were damaging a rice field at Middlesex, Essequibo Coast has landed a 45-year-old farmer an attempted murder charge.

Abdool Jabar of Middlesex, Essequibo Coast man was yesterday placed on $400,000 bail when he appeared before Magistrate Sunil Scarce at the Charity Magistrate’s Court. Jabar was not required to plead to the indictable charge.

It is the police’s case that on June 19 at Middlesex Backdam, Jabar, with intent to commit murder, inflicted grievous bodily harm on Bisson Dyal. According to the facts, around 8.45 am on June 19, Dyal was tending to his rice field when Jabar went to tie his sheep nearby. Dyal reportedly told Jabar that his sheep were eating his rice and a heated argument ensued between the two.

Jabar then reportedly collected a shovel Dyal was holding and dealt him several lashes to his head. Dyal sustained serious injuries and was taken to the Suddie Public Hospital from where he was later transferred to Georgetown Public Hospi-tal, where he is still a patient.

Jabar was represented by Sonia Parag who asked for reasonable bail to be granted since her client is not a flight risk and will attend his trial.   There were no objections to bail by prosecutor Haimwant Ramsewak but he asked that Jabar report to the Aurora Police Station every Saturday at 9 am. After considering the matter, bail was granted by the Magistrate.

More in Local News

Raphael Trotman

Gov’t will not be ‘lectured to in the press’ on forest concessions, Trotman says

Minister of Natural Resources and the Environment, Raphael Trotman yesterday said that the government will not be “lectured” to in the press on the issue of forestry concessions, while announcing that the arrival of officials from a company in China that may take over the operations of the controversial Baishanlin is being awaited.

Black Bush murder victims laid to rest: Rice farmer, Pawan Chandradeo, 37; his fifteen-year-old son, Jaikarran Chandradeo, both of 163 Mibicuri North, Black Bush Polder and his brother-in-law Naresh Rooplall, 33, of Number 75 Village, Corentyne were yesterday laid to rest following an emotional funeral. They were buried at the Babu John Cemetery, Port Mourant. The trio were found dead on Friday, less than a day after they had left to go on a fishing trip in Black Bush Polder. Intense investigations are underway into the murders. Photo shows the caskets of the three victims and part of the crowd that gathered.

Black Bush triple murder suspects brought to city

Seven men, including the main suspect who was arrested in connection with the Black Bush Polder, Corentyne triple murder were transported to Georgetown on Tuesday evening and are currently being questioned by ranks from the Criminal Investigation Department’s (CID), Major Crimes Unit.

Anthony Jhagroo

Bulletin issued for suspect in murder of mechanic

The police yesterday issued a  bulletin for Anthony Jhagroo, who is wanted for questioning in relation to two offences: escaping from lawful custody and the murder of mechanic, Yugeshwar Shiwcharan.

default placeholder

Five cops under close arrest over stolen gold

Five police officers attached to the Brickdam Police Station are currently under close arrest after they allegedly stole a quantity of raw gold from some miners last Friday.

default placeholder

Norway team ‘horrified’ at bauxite mining in pilot village Muritaro

A private bauxite mining operation in the Amerindian community of Muritaro on the Demerara River, discovered by members of a “horrified” team from Norway, was shut down by the Ministry of Natural Resources late last year, since the community was one identified to benefit from the Guyana-Norway forest protection scheme.

default placeholder

New candidate identified to head Bid Protest Committee

Attorney at Law Joann Bond will now head the recently-constituted Bid Protest Committee (BPC) established under the Procurement Act, well-placed sources say.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: