Accused seeks to clear name after latest wife assault charge

Previously charged with chopping his partner about her body and face, Dexter Stewart, 44, yesterday appeared in a city court to answer a new charge that he assaulted the woman.

Appearing before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry yesterday, Stewart said he wanted to “clear his name” of the accusation that he assaulted Desiree Gillian to cause her actual bodily harm on June 19.

After reading the charge, the magistrate inquired whether the complainant was aware that she could apply for a protection order and she responded in the negative.

Gillian then related that Stewart was before the courts on different occasions for chopping her about the face and body.

The magistrate then promptly explained to Gillian that in light of such allegations, she should familiarise herself with the protection order under the Domestic Violence Act.

When asked by the court, the complainant said that she shared a relationship with the defendant four years ago and that they no longer live together.

However, Stewart denied the allegations and was placed on self-bail after Prosecutor Bharat Mangru declined an objection to the bail application submitted by attorney George Thomas.

Thomas said that his client poses no risk of flight and has been and will continue to be cooperative with the police as he wants to clear his name.

The father of two was subsequently placed on self-bail, with the condition that he keeps the peace pending the determination of the matter, which will continue in Court 10 at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

default placeholder

Ministry welcomes removal from US human trafficking watch list

The Ministry of Social Protection yesterday welcomed the latest classification on Trafficking in Persons (TIP), which has seen the country coming off the watch list for TIP, that is, moving from Tier 2 on the Watch List to Tier Two.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: