Vanessa Kissoon ‘not recalled’ to Parliament – PNCR

The People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) has provided no details on the suspension of its member Vanessa Kissoon, except to say that she has not been recalled to Parliament.

At a press conference on Friday last at A Partnership for National Unity’s (APNU) head office, Chief Whip of the coalition, Amna Ally evaded responding to an enquiry about Kissoon’s suspension and instead informed the press that Kissoon was “not recalled to Parliament.”

“If there is a matter,” she said “it is an internal matter for the PNCR. If there is a matter, I can assure you that the way it is being dealt with, is guided by the party’s constitution.”

Vanessa Kissoon
Vanessa Kissoon

The shadow Education Minister, however, declined the request to state what the constitution said on the issue.

“We cannot go about in the public and use speculation,” Ally said, when the party’s level of transparency was challenged by members of the press. “Whenever, if there is a matter…, the investigation is done, whenever [there are] findings, certainly the people will know. There is no secrecy about our business,” she said, adding there is an investigation “if you consider it that,” into the Kissoon matter.

Stabroek News was made to understand that a difference arose over the use of PNCR facilities in Linden. Locks on the facilities were changed and this subsequently led to an altercation involving Kissoon.

When contacted earlier Kissoon had acknowledged that she was aware of a specific incident but said it would not, in her opinion, warrant suspension without due process. She said, “I also know of no incident that would exclude the action of the other party involved coming under serious sanctioning if my actions are seen as a worthy of sanction. It takes two to tango and every action has a reaction.”

She had also informed this newspaper that she had not been notified of any disciplinary action or proposed disciplinary action intended against her, though she had heard from sources that the Central Executive has suspended her.

Kissoon, who has a support base in Linden and had a heightened public profile during the unrest in the mining town two years ago, said that under the party’s constitution, Article 24 (16) Disciplinary Procedures state: “the member against whom the complaint has been made must be given in writing a short statement setting out clearly, with reasonable particulars, the nature of the allegations against him.”

Attempts to contact Kissoon for an update on whether she had been notified by the Central Executive of the PNCR about the suspension were futile.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Increased venues, franchises in pipeline as CPL seeks expansion

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad,  CMC – Caribbean Premier League organisers say they will explore pushing the increasingly popular Twenty20 tournament into Asia, as well as expanding the number of franchises involved and hosting them in North American cities.

default placeholder

Grade Six results to be released Tuesday

The Ministry of Education today said that results of the National Grade Six Assessment –NGSA will be released on Tuesday, July 5, 2016.

The ambassadors group with UG Vice Chancellor Ivelaw Griffith (seated fifth from left)

UG needs emergency $$ to prevent collapse

A conference of local and diaspora stakeholders of the University of Guyana (UG) has called on the government to provide emergency funding to the institution to reverse its “imminent collapse”.

Sattaur Gafoor in the temporary office which was set up after the fire

Gafoor’s, insurers in ‘stalemate’ over Houston Complex repairs

There is a “stalemate” between Gafoors and its insurance underwriters over how to proceed on a building that was damaged in the massive fire at the company’s Houston Complex last month but some reconstruction has started.

20160629digicel

Duo stole over $31M in electronics from Digicel

Two men were yesterday charged with stealing over $31 million in electronics belonging to Digicel Guyana Incorporated. Albert De Freitas, 27, and Basdeo Sackoon, 26, appeared before city magistrate Dylon Bess charged with stealing a total of $31,107,510 in items from the telecoms company.

default placeholder

Driver gets one year in jail for causing boy’s death

A man was yesterday sentenced to one year in jail after being found guilty of three offences, including causing the death of an 11-year-old child by dangerous driving.

default placeholder

Gov’t support for city’s financial measures to hinge on transparency, public interest

President David Granger on Monday said that central government’s support for the city’s measures to make itself financial sustainable would rest on transparency and the public’s interest.

default placeholder

Man arrested over ISIS bomb threat at city bank

A man was yesterday morning arrested after he entered a city bank and demanded $10M under the name of Islamic State (ISIS) before threatening to explode a bomb that he claimed he had on him.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: