Myles Munroe cancels appearance

The National Family Commission (NFC) at the last minute had to cancel yesterday’s national men’s rally and a couple’s dinner that was to be hosted by motivational speaker Dr Myles Munroe after a communication breakdown resulted in Munroe not making it to Guyana.

According to Alex Graham of Tagman Media, which was providing public relations services to the NFC, “it was technical issues…there was miscommunication, a miscommunication occurred we are not sure who dropped the ball.”

He stated that Munroe’s plane was to land in Guyana at roughly 9:30 am, however that never occurred. Munroe’s trip was paid for by the NFC, but Graham did state that there was a commitment to have this money reimbursed as well as for the tickets paid for by couples who wished to attend the dinner which was to be held at the Pegasus Hotel this evening. Munroe was to fly in from Colombia via his private jet and land at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport, Timehri.

Dr Myles Munroe
Dr Myles Munroe

Graham said that there were a variety of costs that were associated with Munroe’s visit and the rest were to be paid after the rally and the dinner and only the flight was paid for in advance since Friday.

Stabroek News understands that persons who wished to attend the rally were notified very late yesterday of the cancellation. The rally was to be held at the National Cultural Centre (NCC) tarmac at 16:30 yesterday. The venue for the rally was switched on Thursday from the National Park to the NCC.

Munroe had previously visited the country. In a statement released by the NFC last week, Munroe said “I am happy to return to Guyana and am looking forward to engaging with men in Guyana again.”

Chairperson of the NFC, Reverend Dr. Kwame Gilbert said that this visit from Munroe was most opportune “given the crisis facing our families in Guyana as demonstrated in an unprecedented spike in domestic and sexual violence.”

Stabroek News was unable to reach Gilbert yesterday to ask about the planning of the event and the plan to reschedule. According to a press statement, Munroe in addition to the rally and dinner was to also meet with a cross-section of national leaders today at the NCC. He last visited Guyana in 2010 and spoke during National Men’s Week.

More in Local News

Shane Dowrich

Dowrich shines but Windies battling to avoid defeat

NORTH SOUND, Antigua,  CMC – Wicketkeeper Shane Dowrich struck his second half-century in only his third Test but West Indies were staring at a possible innings defeat after being forced to follow-on by India, on the second day of the opening Test here Saturday.

default placeholder

Suspect confessed to murder of Herstelling manager – Police

The Guyana Police Force today said that the suspect in the murder of Herstelling, East Bank Demerara, resident Terry Lackhan has confessed.

Indrawattie Chandradeo and her two remaining sons and her only daughter in tears at their home yesterday

Two men, teen boy found shot to death at Mibicuri Creek

By Bebi Oosman   The bodies of two men and a teenage boy, bearing gunshot wounds, were discovered yesterday at Mibicuri Creek, Black Bush Polder and police had one person in custody up to late last night facing questions about their shocking deaths.

Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson and contractors checking out the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) booth at the procurement symposium for new entrant contractors, which was held at the Arthur Chung Convention Centre yesterday. (Minister of Public Infrastructure photo)

Patterson underlines need for transparency in public procurement

Speaking at a symposium for new and existing contractors, Minister of Public Infrastructure (MPI) David Patterson yesterday stressed the need for transparency in the huge public procurement sector and added that distrust in the system has to be dispelled.

default placeholder

Granger says evidence of dereliction needed for Lawrence’s removal

Minister of Social Protection Volda Lawrence would be removed from office once evidence is presented supporting her dereliction of duty, according to President David Granger, who has lauded her for her work so far.

Dr Madhu Singh (at right) with the team of doctors during the press conference

Dr. Balwant Singh’s Hospital saves heart patient given 48 hours to live

Dr Balwant Singh’s Hospital Inc recently performed its first ever pericardiectomy on a 27-year-old patient who had been given 48 hours to live while hospitalised at another institution.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.



Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: