PNCR members question ‘preferential’ treatment for party General Secretary

-in wake of Vanessa Kissoon suspension

PNCR members in Linden have questioned a decision to suspend Vanessa Kissoon over an altercation with party General Secretary Oscar Clarke, while no action was taken against Clarke himself.

In addition, at the New Silvercity Secondary School, in Linden on Monday, party members also questioned why Clarke was tasked with assisting in the investigation of the incident, considering his personal involvement in the altercation, which apparently stems from differences over the use of the PNCR’s facilities in Linden.

The meeting was chaired by Sharma Solomon and Stabroek News was told that Kissoon was also in attendance.

Vanessa Kissoon
Vanessa Kissoon

Information from the meeting indicated that members felt that Clarke should be handled like any other member of the party and considering he was involved in the altercation should not be the one to publicly speak on the matter.

Stabroek News spoke with Clarke yesterday at Congress Place, Sophia but he vehemently refused to comment on the incident in question.

PNCR leader David Granger had referred Stabroek News to Clarke, saying he was the only person who would be capable of publicly commenting on the current investigation.

Clarke brusquely told Stabroek News that the committee charged with reviewing the matter was still to come back with a verdict.

Stabroek News also asked Clarke about his involvement in the incident and whether it would not be more appropriate for him to recuse himself from pronouncing on any investigation. He, however, refused to answer, repeating, “I don’t have time for Vanessa Kissoon… I don’t have time for this.”

He also told Stabroek News that he was aware of the news articles and that he had nothing more to add since the newspaper was already adequately informed on the matter.

 

 Oscar Clarke
Oscar Clarke

Meanwhile, Stabroek News was told that Kissoon and Clarke were involved in a verbal altercation because Clarke became upset while asking Kissoon to hand over keys to the party’s office in Linden.

Kissoon had been given a set of keys to the office and Clarke, according to sources, became aggressive and began yelling at Kissoon, at which point she refused to hand the keys over. After the arguing subsided, Clarke took action to have Kissoon suspended.

Kissoon had made a statement last Wednesday, saying she had not been notified by the Central Executive Committee or any disciplinary authority of the party of any disciplinary action, or proposed disciplinary action intended against her. “I have heard from sources, however, that last evening, Wednesday 25 June [the] Central Executive has suspended me,” she said. She has since refused to comment on the matter until the end of the investigation and a ruling by the committee.

Questions have been raised about the PNCR’s transparency following the party’s reluctance to disclose details regarding Kissoon’s suspension.

Kissoon, who has a strong support base in Linden and had a heightened public profile during unrest in the mining town two years ago, said that under the party’s constitution, “the member against whom the complaint has been made must be given in writing a short statement setting out clearly, with reasonable particulars, the nature of the allegations against him.”

The PNCR constitution also states that “the member must be given a reasonable opportunity to defend himself and to call witnesses and produce documents relevant to his defence” as well as “the member shall have the right to be assisted at the inquiry by a party member of his/her choice.”

Kissoon made it clear that none of the procedures were followed “so the issue of me being suspended, just like that, if taken seriously would be in violation of the constitution.”

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Students of Guyana and Suriname who participated in the first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee Competition, held yesterday at NCERD.

Guyana overall w-i-n-n-e-r in first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee

Guyana’s students yesterday emerged the overall winners in the first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee Competition. The Spelling Bee brought together students of Guyana and Suriname, from ages 10 to 14, in a concept of solidarity dubbed “Guianame.” The participants were drawn from several regions in Guyana and from the AlphaMax Academy, which has been the winner of the National Spelling Bee in Suriname for the past three years.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: