Nineteen for court following Essequibo rice protest

The 19 persons who were arrested early Saturday morning after a confrontation between rice farmers and the Guyana Police Force in Anna Regina, Essequibo have been ordered to appear before the court tomorrow.

Vice Chairman of the Essequibo Paddy Farmers’ Association, Taje Shewcharan, the organization responsible for organizing a morning protest on Friday, recalled yesterday that he had to be sent to the hospital for treatment after his arrest due to injuries sustained in altercations with police. He told Stabroek News that when 16 persons were being taken to the Anna Regina police station and three were taken to the Suddie police station, arrangements were made by farmers who were waiting outside to pay the $95,000 bail for all those arrested.

He said that farmers were looking out for one another and that the same could not be said for the rest of those involved in the industry including the millers, the Guyana Rice Development Board (GRDB), the Agriculture Ministry and the Rice Producers Association. Shewcharan said that he was not aware of the charges that he will face tomorrow, but that farmers were on the road protesting the lack of payments by millers for paddy.

He told Stabroek News that the second crop harvest is about to commence, “late July, early August and we not getting paid yet,” for the first crop. He added that some farmers are awaiting payments from last year. The payment system has long been an issue for farmers despite attempts to improve it.

Shewcharan stated that police began to agitate farmers and that was when tyres were burned on Friday night across the Anna Regina High Bridge. He said that when the police began to make their arrests after lobbing teargas to disperse the crowd late Friday evening the force was excessive. He told Stabroek News that the arrests were politically motivated and that it was frustrating to think that such a large group of farmers would be arrested and potentially charged right before the second crop harvest.

Shewcharan stated that farmers were prepping themselves for lower paddy prices in the upcoming season. He explained that the GRDB was suggesting that the price for a bag of paddy could be reduced to $2500 in the second crop.

“Paddy price will be $2500 for a bag not $3000…it is costing us $2300 to produce that same bag of paddy we had to go out there, we can’t be working for $200 a bag for six months.”

He said that “I was born a PPP and up to this day I vote PPP, this was organized by farmers”. The Vice Chairman said that while the Chairman, Naith Ram was an Alliance for Change Regional Democratic Council Councillor this did not mean that the protest was politically motivated.

The paddy farmer told Stabroek News that as they await their court appearances farmers are concerned. He noted that the violent turn to the protest was alarming, however the fact that no representatives were sent by the GRDB or the ministry spoke volumes about the industry leaders.

Ram confirmed that he had carbon copies of all the letters sent to the GRDB, the ministry, and the Regional Democratic Council. He told Stabroek News that he wrote the letters before June 2 and gave adequate notice that the Essequibo farmers were planning a protest. He said that the group has largely been ignored and that the frustration levels must have boiled over on Friday night.

He said that tomorrow when he appears before the courts with the other 18 persons he will find out the charge because he is not sure what exactly they were all arrested for. “Up to now I don’t know what I was arrested for…after we were shot with tear gas I took cover in a yard and they [police] come for me,” Ram said.

On Friday, tensions erupted after police were called to disperse a crowd of agitated rice farmers who were protesting non-payment by millers. After a morning of peaceful protesting on Friday, farmers grew more and more agitated feeling that their concerns were not being taken seriously. Farmers claim the police began to intervene and use excessive force which made farmers lash out including blocking the roadway and setting tyres on fire. The police have since denied that they stripped Ram and noted that the persons who remained after the peaceful protest were under the influence of alcohol.

More in Local News

Bisham Kuppen

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

default placeholder

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Commander of ‘B’ Division Ian Amsterdam (second, right) meeting with Pawan Chandradeo’s wife and children

City detectives to assist in Berbice triple murder probe

The police are continuing to work all angles and a number of theories in order to solve last week’s triple murder at Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum said yesterday that a team from the force’s Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was expected to head to the area to lend assistance in the investigation.

default placeholder

Appointment of new foreign envoys based on merit, not patronage – Granger

The appointment of new foreign mission heads was based on merit and was not a form of reward, President David Granger said last evening even as he called on them to put the border controversy with Venezuela on the front burner.

The roof of Nand Persaud International Communications Inc at Tain covered with solar panels

Nand Persaud Company set to unveil huge solar project in Berbice

Local business group Nand Persaud and Company Limited will shortly unveil what is said to be the largest solar energy project in the country to date with 220 kilowatts of energy expected to be generated to power the group’s call centre at Tain, Corentyne.

default placeholder

Probe launched into maternity death

An investigation has been launched into the death of a Matthews Ridge woman who succumbed one week after giving birth via caesarean section (C-section) at the Georgetown Public Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has said.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: