Driver accused of killing six-year-old released on $400,000 bail

Jermaine Carroll, the man accused of causing the death of six-year-old Joseph Quallis by dangerous driving, was yesterday finally granted his release on $400,000 bail.

At yesterday’s hearing before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts, attorney Paul Fung-a-Fat informed the court that he was now representing the accused and made a successful bail application for his client.

On his first two appearances Carroll was unrepresented by counsel.

Joseph Quallis
Joseph Quallis

Fung-a-Fat said that according to his instructions, the child was walking alone and spontaneously dashed across the road and that there was nothing that his client could have done.

In his bail application, the attorney said that his client does not own a passport but would lodge his national identification card and would be willing to report to any police station the court desires.

He further stressed that his client would be unable to drive since his driver’s licence has been taken away and lodged with the police since the accident.

Prosecutor Bharat Mangru had no objection to bail.

Carroll was subsequently informed that he would be granted bail to the tune of $400,000 on condition that he reports daily to the subordinate officer-in-charge of traffic at the Ruimveldt Police Station.

His next court date is July 31.

Carroll, 28, was remanded to prison after his arraignment on June 16.

The allegation against the Stevedore Housing Scheme resident is that on June 12, at Georgetown, he drove a car, PPP 5931, in a manner dangerous to the public, thereby causing the death of Quallis.

Additionally, Carroll was charged with driving without insurance for third party risk being enforced at the time.

   Jermaine Carroll
Jermaine Carroll

He pleaded not guilty to both charges when they were read to him.

The police’s case is that Carroll was proceeding west along Middle Road La Penitence at a fast rate when he collided with the child.

Prosecutor Mangru had said that at the time of the accident the lad was standing on the southern side on a bridge.

The court heard that Quallis was subsequently rushed to the Georgetown Public Hospital, where he succumbed to his injuries.

The child was struck and pinned into the bars of a steel fence. He was rushed to the hospital and was quickly attended to before being taken to the intensive care unit (ICU) in a critical condition where he later died.

More in Local


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Most Read This Week

  1. Driver in fatal Liliendaal crash on DUI charge

  2. Sheet Anchor man beats, chops wife to death

  3. Cap on ministers’ housing allowance was increased to $500,000 in 2015

  4. Teacher who was found with husband’s dead body commits suicide

  5. SOCU actively seeking Brassington, Ashni Singh

  6. Caribbean Container Inc announces 36-month closure of recycling plant

  7. Ramotar defends Brassington, Singh

  8. Couple hijacked at Ogle seawall, robbed of car, valuables

  9. CH&PA sets model houses price at $6.5m

Recommended For You