Tenders in for Parika, Supenaam stelling works

Around $10M will be spent on rehabilitative works to the Supenaam stelling as tenders for the contract were opened this week at the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board.

The stelling has been bedevilled by complications for years with BK International, the contracting company which initially built the structure and the Works Ministry trading blame on who should be held responsible for the defects.

BK has said that it will not be held responsible as the Ministry of Works “messed” up the stelling with the modifications it made.

The stelling was completed to the tune of $431 million but additional works, costing over $100 million, were eventually needed.

Last year September, a section of the concrete access way to ramps used to board the ferries, MV Sabanto and Kanawan, gave way under the weight of a city-bound heavy-duty truck carrying several tonnes of rice. The collapsed segment of the access way started out as a small hole but according to commuters, months of neglect and continued use by vehicles, including the heavy-duty trucks, saw the hole grow bigger until it became very unstable and weak.

It is believed that the hole was caused overtime by the weight of wheels of the heavy-duty trucks as they turned off from the straight section of the pathway to the section where they usually board the ferries. Several other sections have deteriorated.

Golden Fleece Rice Investment shouldered the responsibility in patching some of collapsed sections as that company had said it was looking after its interest since it used the area frequently in its transport of rice.

20140719satrohan20140719jagmohanThis week five companies placed tenders for rehabilitative works on the stelling. Their names and bids are shown in the table below.

Meanwhile, tenders were also opened for rehab works on the Parika Stelling. The stelling has been prone to flooding and some of the works will be done to raise the deck to prevent this.

The estimated cost for this project is $32.8M and five companies’ submitted bids. These are shown below.

 

 

Latest in Local News

Joel Ganesh

Crane man hacks wife, toddler to death

-leaves mom critical after severing hand A Crane, West Coast Demerara man early yesterday morning butchered his wife and two-year-old-son and critically wounded his mother during a rampage that was eventually brought to an end when he was shot by the police.

An excerpt of the letter released by former president Donald Ramotar

Ramotar releases letter showing Tiwarie backing for PPP up to month before polls

Former President Donald Ramotar yesterday released a letter written by prominent businessman Brian Tiwarie pledging his support to the PPP a month before the May, 2015 general elections that ended the party’s 23-year reign.

default placeholder

Minister blames negligence for improper disposal of foetus at Diamond Hospital

Following recent reports of a foetus being mutilated at the Diamond Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has attributed the incident to negligence and stated that the responsible party will likely be sanctioned.

default placeholder

Sweeping insurance bill passes, central bank powers boosted

Using its one-seat majority, the government early Friday morning passed the sweeping Insurance Bill 2016 which fortifies a regulatory role for the Bank of Guyana and seeks to prevent a CLICO-type meltdown in the sector here.

Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson yesterday inspecting works done so far on Carifesta Avenue, where the flags and courts of arms of the Caricom member states have been mounted ahead of next week’s Heads of Government summit. Inset are the flag and coat of arms of Haiti. See story on page 2. (Photo by Keno George)

Carifesta Ave, Ogle Airport road to be ready for Caricom summit

The preliminary upgrade and rehabilitation of Carifesta Avenue and the Ogle Airport Road, respectively, are almost complete and these thoroughfares will be ready for use from today Junior Minister of Public Infrastructure Annette Ferguson has said.

default placeholder

Pre-elections VAT reduction promise was ‘imprudent’

President David Granger has called the elections promise by the APNU+AFC to reduce Value Added Tax (VAT) within its first 100 days in office “imprudent.” Asked on this week’s “The Public Interest” programme if his coalition’s promise of a reduction in VAT was no more than an election gimmick, Granger said that while it is still possible that VAT will be reduced, it has not happened yet because the money is not there.

default placeholder

No non-essential travel by ministers – Granger

President David Granger is not convinced that his ministers have been embarking on non-essential travel. In fact, he maintains that his Cabinet ensures that all travel done by ministers is in the “national interest.” The president was asked this week on the televised programme, “The Public Interest,” whether he believed ministers of government were engaging in non-essential travel and if this matter had been discussed.

A frontal view of the building, as seen on Thursday.

Workers gets safety gear after electrocution at Robb St building site

The remaining workers at a Robb Street building site, where a workman was electrocuted nearly three weeks ago, have since been equipped with safety gear and measures have been taken to cover up the wires in front of the building.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: