Luncheon to Surujbally: Prove GECOM’s readiness for elections

The Donald Ramotar administration yesterday called on the Guyana Elections Commission (GECOM) to show proof that it is ready to host local or general elections.

“GECOM or Gegone? Cabinet’s contention is fairly simple. GECOM should provide a timely and a more exhaustive status report on its readiness and its preparedness for local government as well as general elections,” Head of the Presidential Secre-tariat Dr Roger Luncheon asserted at his post-Cabinet press briefing yesterday.

According to Luncheon, the administration holds firm to their belief that GECOM is not ready for either local government or general elections. The Commission has on multiple occasions stated that it is ready. “Put your money where your mouth is. The chairman’s word should be matched by evidence,” Luncheon stated. It is unclear what evidence the government is seeking. In the past, GECOM’s declaration of readiness has been good enough for the holding of general elections.

GECOM chairman Dr Steve Surujbally only last week dismissed a series of concerns raised by the three PPP/C appointed commissioners about the electoral body’s readiness for local government elections (LGE). In a lengthy response to the concerns raised by Mohamood Shaw, Dr Keshav Mangal and Athmaram Mangar, Surujbally said all that was necessary was for the Minister of Local Government to name a date for the LGE and this would trigger the phased rollout of GECOM’s six-month work plan including voter education.

The PPP/C government has come under intense pressure in recent months to call local government elections as there is no impediment in the way. However, the government and the ruling party have made a series of excuses which have been consistently rubbished by GECOM and other stakeholders. In light of GECOM’s previously enunciated position that it is ready, government’s adamant stance that the Commission is not ready is viewed by observers as them providing cover to their continued claim that LGE cannot be held.

Surujbally has reiterated many times that GECOM is “fully prepared and committed to move formally into an election mode with immediacy, if and when the Commission is mandated to conduct Local Government Elections.” In his latest statement, he said that he hoped that the response to the concerns raised “would put to rest all of the public innuendoes, speculations and misconceptions.”

The GECOM chairman had also informed that the body will be undertaking a Claims and Objections exercise next month to produce an Official List of Electors as a sequel to the 6th Cycle of Continuous Registration. Surujbally said that the parliamentary political parties have been informed of this exercise via a letter dated June 9, 2014. This exercise will provide the opportunity for all persons who have changed their addresses since registration to apply for transfers.

Luncheon yesterday, stated that his government is concerned about the current Claims and Objections period which is from August 4 to 31, 2014 and has a list validity date up to October 2014. He said that government sees that as limiting them to a specified period in which to call elections. “That list that is based on that qualifying date is not a list for all time. Indeed, it is a list that can only be used if an elections were called within the period of its validity and we understand that is three months,” he said.

“It is marginalizing the constitutional role of the President in making that declaration for general election so what Cabinet is sensing, unless otherwise advised, there can be something sinister about this approach,” he added.

More in Local News

default placeholder

Oil drilling likely in five years

Country Manager of Exxon Mobil Corporation, Jeff Simons today reaffirmed that the company will not start the actual extraction of oil from its huge offshore well for another five years.

default placeholder

Alzarri Joseph called up for Test duty

ST.JOHN’s, Antigua, CMC-Promising Antiguan fast bowler Alzarri Joseph is set to make his Test debut after he was drafted into the West Indies side for the current home series against India.

default placeholder

Caribbean series hopes to crack US market with T20 foray

(Reuters) – Chris Gayle and Shane Watson need no introductions in cricket-playing countries but while they are unlikely to become household names in the U.S.

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: