Corentyne fishing crew missing at sea

-piracy suspected

Relatives of a Corentyne fishing crew are praying for their safe return after the vessel they were working on was found at the Whim foreshore around midday on Thursday minus the catch and seine.

The captain, known only as ‘Rajin’ of No 69 Village and his four-member crew left for sea two weeks ago in the blue vessel, named ‘Seeta’ that belonged to Beeram Persaud of No 60 Village.

Residents of Whim saw the boat and made a report to the fisheries officer in Berbice who in turn informed officials at the No 66 Fisheries. It is believed that the men were attacked by pirates.

Persaud visited the scene with the police and confirmed that the boat was his. He later received information from his licensing counterpart in Suriname that two bodies were seen floating on the shores around the Coroni and Copenaam area.

Sources from the fisheries told Stabroek News that Persaud then travelled to Suriname to identify the bodies. It is believed that the men were part of his crew.

The source said that the engine was still intact but all of the catch was removed from the ice box along with the fishing seine.

One side of the ice box cover was also missing. Some fish that the men had placed on the cabin to dry were left behind.

According to the source, the fact that the engine was intact meant that the men were probably tossed overboard. The source said too that the pirates would only damage the engine when the crew is beaten and left in the boat.

He told this newspaper that as word of the missing fishermen spread around the fisheries yesterday, fishermen were afraid to go out to sea.

 

He said the men refused to load their boats to go out “because they don’t know who is next.” A lot of ice that they were supposed to take at sea “was melting.”

One man washed ashore dead last week and three others are missing and feared dead following a pirate attack in Suriname waters.

 

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Resource ambassadors raise $14.5m for UG

Education resource ambassadors from various parts of the world who were recently here for a conference on improving UG have raised $14.5m for the university.

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: