Hopetown man jailed for 25 years for rape of 8-yr-old girl

A West Coast Berbice (WCB) man, who was found guilty of having carnal knowledge of an eight-year-old girl was sentenced to 25 years imprisonment by Justice Navendra Singh on Thursday.

Talbert McPherson
Talbert McPherson

Talbert McPherson, 42, of Hopetown, was accused of raping and sodomising the child between August 12 and 13, 2009 at Number 30 Village, WCB.

According to the indictment presented to the court by State Prosecutor Renita Singh, the child was overnighting at a relative’s home while her mother attended a wake.

The child had said that she saw the accused, who she knew, enter the room where she was lying on a mattress on the floor. The man then placed a pillow over her face before sexually violating her.

The next morning, the child told her mother and a report was made to the police. Following a medical examination of the child, the man was arrested and charged.

Eight witnesses testified before McPherson’s attorney Raymond Alli and the prosecution closed their cases.

Alli, in a plea of mitigation, told the court that the accused was young (he was 37 at the time) and had never been before the court. As such, he asked the court to have mercy on the accused.

Given the opportunity to speak, McPherson told the court, “Sir these people are always after me, they always after me.”

Before Justice Singh handed down the 25 years sentence, he told McPherson that he had to be a “sick” person and of unsound mind to commit such a heinous act on an eight-year-old.

More in Local News

Logs placed across the road at Moblissa to prevent vehicles from accessing the Baishanlin site.

Baishanlin operations at standstill

Officials from Long Jiang Forest Industries Group are expected in Guyana next month for a ‘fact-finding mission’ as it seeks to fully take over the operations of logging firm Baishanlin whose operations have ground to a halt.

The windmill that once provided all of Huis T' Dieren with water is still standing tall.

Huis T’ Dieren

Photos by Joanna Khan   Just about 500 people live in Huis T’ Dieren, a bright and beautiful little village on the Esse-quibo Coast.

default placeholder

Economy was sluggish through first half of year

The economy was sluggish throughout the first of the year, according to Chairman of the Guyana Bank for Trade and Industry (GBTI) Robin Stoby.

The window the perpetrators broke to enter Doorasammy’s home

Bandits threaten to take off with toddler during robbery

A young couple who recently moved into their home at Lot 139 Gangaram Village, East Canje and took over a grocery shop, is now fearful after bandits early yesterday morning held a gun to their four-year-old daughter and threatened abduction, while robbing them.

default placeholder

Foreign mission heads to be changed every three years

No Guyanese envoy will remain head of the same mission for more than three years, according to President David Granger. “Rotation of diplomats is of paramount importance [since] if a diplomat is kept in his or her position for too long they lose their effectiveness,” Granger said, when asked during the recording of last week’s edition of The Public Interest interview programme whether his government will be rotating heads of missions, in light of criticism that they remained for the most part static under the previous administration.

default placeholder

GGMC not doing enough to monitor removal of sand, loam at Linden – Trotman

Following complaints by the residents of Linden that sand and loam were being removed illegally from the region, Minister of Natural Resources Raphael Trotman on Wednesday stated that the Guyana Geology and Mines Com-mission (GGMC) was not doing enough to monitor movement of the two materials as “people are literally trucking them away.” PPP/C Member of the Parliamentary Sectoral Committee on Natural Resources Pauline Sukhai raised the issue during a committee hearing on Wednesday, while stating that the concerns were raised during the committee’s recent outreach to the community.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: