Rodney CoI acquires British diplomatic exchanges during 1980

The Walter Rodney Com-mission of Inquiry (CoI) has secured a bundle of correspondence which represents exchanges between the British High Commis-sioner and his superiors in the UK about the political situation in Guyana during 1980, according to lead Counsel Glenn Hanoman.

Hanoman when approached yesterday told Stabroek News that the bundle which consists of approximately 100 pages was purchased online from the British National Archives. He was unable to provide a price tag for the purchase.

He said that the purchase came about as a result of the secretariat’s investigations and after an application was made to the British government. He said that the Secretariat was able to ascertain that there is a system in place where documents can be purchased from the country’s national archives.

The attorney went on to explain that the then UK High Commissioner Philip Mallet in the correspondence

Walter Rodney
Walter Rodney

spoke about the political atmosphere in the country before and after the 1980 death of political activist, Dr. Walter Rodney. Mallet died in 2011 at the age of 85.

According to Hanoman the intention of the commission is to introduce the bundle into evidence and to share it with all the parties participating in the CoI during this round of hearings which ends next Thursday. He said too that he himself has gone through all the correspondence.

He added that the Secretariat attempted to get similar information from the US Embassy but was unsuccessful. He stressed that in spite of this they will continue to try and would not give up.

On June 13, 1980, Rodney, a renowned academic and political activist, died in a car near John and Bent streets after a walkie-talkie, given to him by now deceased Guyana Defence Force member Gregory Smith, exploded. His brother Donald Rodney who was with him at the time, escaped serious injury.

The PNC administration, then headed by late president Linden Forbes Burnham, whose reign had been opposed by Rodney, has long been blamed for the murder. The party, however, has continuously denied any responsibility. The current PNCR has publicly said that it will not be cooperating with the CoI.

In addition to looking at the circumstances surrounding the death, the commissioners are also tasked with examining the role Smith played if any, examining earlier investigations and inquiries done on and into Rodney’s death and they are to examine and report on the actions and activities of the State, including state agencies, such as the Guyana Police Force, the Guyana Defence Force, the Guyana National Service, the Guyana People’s Militia and those who were in command and superintendence of them, to determine whether they were tasked with surveillance of and the carrying out of actions and whether they did execute those tasks and carried out those actions against the political opposition for the period January 1, 1978 to December 31, 1980.

More in Local News

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

default placeholder

Ferry collides with Supenaam stelling

The ferry,  Sabanto  suffered extensive damage after it collided with the Supenaam Stelling last evening and will be out of service until further notice.

Darnell Matthew

Three hospitalised after driver hits visiting St Lucian scouts

A visiting St. Lucian Cub Scout has been critically injured, while another and his mother escaped with minor injuries after they were struck by a car yesterday afternoon near the Scout Association of Guyana headquarters at Woolford Avenue.

Nafeeza Mohammed

Bush Lot woman accused of trafficking teen for prostitution

A Bush Lot woman was yesterday charged with trafficking a teenaged girl for prostitution. It was alleged that    shop owner Nafeeza Mohammed, of Lot 17 Bush Lot, Essequibo Coast, between April 26 and May 31, in Region One, received, transported and harboured the teen for the purpose of sexual exploitation.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: