Karen de Souza recalls shock after Walter Rodney’s death

When a bloodied Donald Rodney came to her house after the bomb blast that killed his brother Walter Rodney on June 13, 1980, he was in shock, human rights activist Karen de Souza testified yesterday.

Resuming her testimony before the Commission of Inquiry (CoI) into Rodney’s death yesterday to complete her evidence, de Souza said she subsequently visited the scene of the blast then returned home and cleaned Donald Rodney’s wounds before WPA members came and took him away.

Even though PNCR attorney Basil Williams sought to probe why she never inquired from Donald Rodney what had happened, even though he was covered in blood and she had visited the area where Dr. Walter Rodney died, she maintained that she was in shock.

Karen de Souza
Karen de Souza

The CoI had been set up to probe the circumstances surrounding the June 13, 1980 death of Dr. Rodney, a WPA co-leader. Donald Rodney is his brother and the two were together when a walkie-talkie given to them exploded, killing Dr. Rodney.

Williams kept pounding at what he described as inconsistencies and contradictions but de Souza held her ground. She denied a suggestion that she did not inquire what had happened because she was already aware of what Dr. Rodney’s activities were on the day that he died.

Shortly after the explosion, de Souza had previously said, Donald came to her and said that there had been a terrible accident.

Under cross-examination by Keith Scotland, the attorney representing Donald at the hearings, de Souza said that when Donald came to her, his face and arm were bloody. She said that she understood him to be telling her that something catastrophic had happened and “not that they were playing with fire and they had gotten burnt.”

She said that when she subsequently visited the scene, the police were already there but the area wasn’t cordoned off. She said that Dr. Rodney’s body was still in the car and when she left it was still there with no one tending to it.

From her recollection, she stayed between three to five minutes and during that time she did not recognise any ambulance or paramedics on the scene or anyone going up to the car to look at the body.

She said that members of the death squad were just standing around. She later said that she knew the faces of the death squad members but only knew one of them by name.

de Souza explained that when she returned home, she tended to Donald, who was still there. When she left him to go to the scene, she said he was alone and standing at the top of the stairs. When she returned, he was still standing at the top of the stairs. “I tried to stop some of the bleeding… I can’t remember how long I tended to him,” she said, adding that Donald was bleeding both from his face and from his arm. She said that she saw small injuries on his arm. She could not remember the injuries on his face.

She said that after she had tended to him, a couple of friends from WPA came and collected him. “I don’t know where they took him but I imagine they took him for medical attention,” she said adding that it was not long after she returned home that Donald was taken away.

Meanwhile, responding to questions from Williams, de Souza said that she did not question Donald about what had happened.

She said that when she returned home, she did not mentally link him to the explosion. She pointed out that when Donald arrived he was “in a state” and at the time she didn’t think she had to inquire from him what had happened.

“I did not inquire. I did not address my mind to inquiring. I was in shock. Donald was in shock,” she said.

Williams made the point that even though she was in shock, she went to the scene, spent some time there and then returned home and cleaned Donald’s wounds but still did not inquire about what had occurred.

Asked if she agreed that if such an event occurred that the normal thing would have been for Donald to remain on the scene until police arrived, de Souza said that the police were not friends of the WPA. “Why would he remain there?”

According to de Souza, Donald was not a member of the WPA and was not involved in WPA meetings.

Meanwhile, de Souza also opined that the Ministry of National Development was an important element of the PNC and its burning down may have shocked the government of the day. This was in response to questions posed by attorney Selwyn Pieters, who is looking into the interest of the Guyana Trades Union Congress (GTUC). She said too that she had no direct evidence that WPA members were acquiring arms.

She also said too that she had met Robert Gates as he was the bodyguard of Dr. Rupert Roopnaraine. According to her, at that time she did not know that he was a member of the Police Force.

Responding to questions posed by lawyer for the Rodney family Andrew Pilgrim, de Souza said many persons learnt that association with the party had serious consequences, which included the loss of their jobs or transfers and police harassment. She said that she knew two persons who were transferred because of their association with the WPA.

One was Bonita Harris, one of the leaders of the WPA who was transferred to a school in the interior. She said that she is also aware of police officers who were removed because they were considered to be too friendly or polite to the WPA.

de Souza, later answering questions posed by Christopher Ram who is the attorney for the WPA, said that she was not appearing as a WPA witness but rather her presence was based on the fact that she had given evidence at the inquest.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Students of Guyana and Suriname who participated in the first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee Competition, held yesterday at NCERD.

Guyana overall w-i-n-n-e-r in first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee

Guyana’s students yesterday emerged the overall winners in the first Inter-Guianas Spelling Bee Competition. The Spelling Bee brought together students of Guyana and Suriname, from ages 10 to 14, in a concept of solidarity dubbed “Guianame.” The participants were drawn from several regions in Guyana and from the AlphaMax Academy, which has been the

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: