Trial of alleged Congress Place shooter begins

-investigating cop says found no spent shell

The trial of Linden Primo, the man accused of firing a gun during the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) 18th Biennial Congress, began yesterday.

Detective Superinten-dent of Police Michael Kingston took to the stand and testified about visiting the scene subsequent to the report which he received of a shooting incident at Congress Place, Sophia on July 27.

In his evidence-in-chief, Kingston noted that when he arrived at the scene he looked for a spent shell or warhead but found none. He also said that at the time he made efforts to contact General Secretary of the PNCR Oscar Clarke but was unsuccessful.

Linden Primo
Linden Primo

Attorney Patrice Henry, who is representing Primo, cross-examined the witness briefly.

Kingston is stationed at the Divisional Headquarters at Brickdam and is attached to the Criminal Investigation Department as the officer in charge of all criminal investigations in the region.

Prosecutor Jomo Nichols informed the court that Kingston is the first of the four witnesses that the prosecution intends to call. The others are the virtual complainant Alieshaw Barker, Keisha Sampson and a police corporal.

The trial continues today.

Primo, 54, of 41 Farm Village, Mahaicony, was released on his own recognisance after making his first appearance on a charge of threatening behaviour before Chief Magistrate Priya Sewnarine-Beharry on July 31.

He denied that he used threatening behaviour towards Barker on the last day of the Congress.

According to the prosecution’s case, on the day in question at about 9am, Barker had gone to Congress Place in Sophia for the Biennial Congress. At about 1:15pm, she went to the auditorium door to see a staff member when Primo, who was standing about seven feet away, removed a gun from his pants’ waist and pointed it in her direction. He then allegedly discharged a round. The shooting was reported and Primo was subsequently arrested and charged.

According to the police, Primo is a security guard employed at a mining company. Police Prosecutor Michael Grant at the arraignment had raised no objections to bail but asked that it be set in a substantial sum.

Grant also pointed out that Primo had been nabbed while he was an outgoing passenger at the Cheddi Jagan International Airport, Timehri last Wednesday and he requested that the man’s travel documents be lodged with the police.

The matter is now before Magistrate Geeta Chandan-Edmond at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Court.

More in Local News

Renee McDonald

Chair of Bid Protest Committee resigns

Chairperson of the recently-established Bid Protest Committee (BPC) Renee McDonald has resigned even as the body’s first case—Cevons Waste Management’s protest against the Ministry of Communities over the award of a $221M Haags Bosch landfill maintenance contract—awaits a decision.

default placeholder

Main suspect in Black Bush triple murder held, owns shotgun

The main suspect in the Black Bush triple murder has been held and he is the owner of the same type of weapon that inflicted the deadly wounds.

Shane Mc Almont

Two charged with killing missing miner

Just two days after severed body parts suspected to belong to Mahdia miner Shawn Clarke were discovered, two men were charged in a city court with his murder.

default placeholder

Ferry collides with Supenaam stelling

The ferry,  Sabanto  suffered extensive damage after it collided with the Supenaam Stelling last evening and will be out of service until further notice.

The car, PSS 1236 after it stuck the three victims.

Three hospitalised after driver hits visiting St Lucian scouts

A visiting St. Lucian Cub Scout has been critically injured, while another and his mother escaped with minor injuries after they were struck by a car yesterday afternoon near the Scout Association of Guyana headquarters at Woolford Avenue.

Nafeeza Mohammed

Bush Lot woman accused of trafficking teen for prostitution

A Bush Lot woman was yesterday charged with trafficking a teenaged girl for prostitution. It was alleged that    shop owner Nafeeza Mohammed, of Lot 17 Bush Lot, Essequibo Coast, between April 26 and May 31, in Region One, received, transported and harboured the teen for the purpose of sexual exploitation.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: