Hotel Tower workers still to be paid

-owed $5.5M

Despondent Hotel Tower workers and their union say they now believe that the hotel’s owner Salim Azeez misled them when he said that he was brokering a deal with new owners and lamented that they still have not been paid.

“It seems it is all lies, it was a made up story about getting new buyers and everything …Salim went from pushing us around for the money to now hiding from us and we don’t know when workers will be paid,” Clerical and Commercial Workers Union representative for the workers, Sherwood Clarke told Stabroek News yesterday.

On May 23rd, the historic hotel abruptly closed and employees protested after they were told through an anonymous phone call that letters were at the front counter for them. They said when they collected their letters, they learned that that day was the last day of work for them as the hotel was closing. They continued their protests in the days that followed.

The hotel then released a statement on May 27th explaining its abrupt closure, saying that business had declined dramatically in recent times and it assured that assets would be liquidated to pay outstanding amounts to its employees.

Azeez had met with the union on May 28th and had proposed that workers return to work for one month unpaid until he was somewhat clear of his financial crisis. The union rejected the proposal and Azeez left and returned on May 30th with another option which was accepted and a deal was brokered.

The agreement was that workers be given two options-to take a severance package and give management one month to pay it off or to accept a payment of all back wages and salaries and resume work. Twenty-one workers took the latter option while 24 took the former.

On June 2nd, Stabroek News was told that the 21 employees turned up for work as promised and were given a partial payment of $9,500 each.

Then on June 11 Azeez met with officials from the Ministry of Labour and at a meeting explained that the hotel had a buyer but that the buyer isn’t taking over the past responsibilities of the company, nor do they want the current employees. He said that he would pay workers off from an initial payment, given to the company by the new buyers to pay off all expenses.

The hotel last month reneged on that promise. Azeez’s legal counsel, Marcel Bobb, told the workers that the hotel’s first obligation was to the bank, the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) and the Guyana Power and Light Inc (GPL).

Workers became enraged as they felt they were being wronged and got vocal, prompting more promises of a payoff at the beginning of this month.

Up to yesterday this was not done but Clarke said Bobb once again promised to meet with him today to discuss a way forward.

The 67 workers are owed a total of $5,577,633 in wages, salaries and other benefits.

Hotel Tower first opened its doors in 1866 on the site of the present Guyana Post Office.

In 1910, it was re-sited to its present location on Main Street under expatriate ownership. In 1946, the property was acquired by a Guyanese/Barbadian family, the Humphreys, along with 50 other shareholders and re-named Hotel Tower Ltd.

Latest in Local News

bkdonald

Tiwari pledged continuing support to PPP in March last year – Ramotar

Former President Donald Ramotar today released a letter written to him by the Head of BK Inc Brian Tiwari on March 23rd last year pledging continuing support to the PPP and best wishes for the then upcoming general elections.

default placeholder

Crane man shot after chopping wife, child to death

A man this morning chopped his wife and two-year-old child to death at Crane, West Coast Demerara and wounded his mother.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: