Generator destroyed by fire on Robb St

Firemen managed to save a Robb Street building from going up in flames after a blaze – reportedly caused by a power surge – destroyed a back-up generator and the room in which it was housed today.

Chet Singh, the owner of the Lot 68 Robb Street building told Stabroek News that he was contacted at around midday today and told of the fire. No one lived in the building. He said that he was told that as a result of a power surge, flames were seen running on the wire connecting the building to the electricity grid. The small building which houses the generator is aback a bigger building.

The Guyana Fire Service was contacted and managed to douse the flames. However, Singh said that the “huge diesel generator” as well as the room in which it was housed, were destroyed. He declined to estimate the total losses and said that the Fire Service was still investigating.



Join the Conversation

After you comment, click Post. If you're not already logged in you will be asked to log in or register.

The Comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit/delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity. We moderate ALL comments, so your comment will not be published until it has been reviewed by a moderator.