Generator destroyed by fire on Robb St
Firemen managed to save a Robb Street building from going up in flames after a blaze – reportedly caused by a power surge – destroyed a back-up generator and the room in which it was housed today.
Chet Singh, the owner of the Lot 68 Robb Street building told Stabroek News that he was contacted at around midday today and told of the fire. No one lived in the building. He said that he was told that as a result of a power surge, flames were seen running on the wire connecting the building to the electricity grid. The small building which houses the generator is aback a bigger building.
The Guyana Fire Service was contacted and managed to douse the flames. However, Singh said that the “huge diesel generator” as well as the room in which it was housed, were destroyed. He declined to estimate the total losses and said that the Fire Service was still investigating.