REO denies authorising community officers to do registration visits

Region One Regional Executive Officer Nigel Fisher has denied authorising Community Service Officers (CSOs) to conduct house to house visits to advise residents on their registration status.

His denial on Wednesday came in the wake of confirmation by residents that CSOs were visiting their homes with copies of extracts of the current Preliminary List of Electors (PLE) to check and advise them on their registration status.

According to the persons in the region contacted by Stabroek News, the CSOs have within their possession a letter purportedly issued by the Fisher.

He, however, refuted those claims and said he was unaware of any such activity. He further stated that there is no political campaigning on behalf of the ruling People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C) and that he will be issuing a press statement on the matter shortly.

On Tuesday, the Guyana Elections Com-mission (Gecom) disclosed that it received reports from the region that persons had been posing as Gecom employees and were visiting homes.

Gecom said that its investigations revealed that the persons engaged in this activity were alleged “Community Support Officers” in Mabaruma and Port Kaituma and that they have in their possession a copy of a letter purportedly written by Fisher authorising their work.

The Commission distanced itself from the activity and emphatically stated that its staff is not engaged in any such activity in Region One or any other region.

Meanwhile, the People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) has voiced its concerns over the situation, saying that the CSOs are engaged in illegal campaign activity on behalf of the People’s Progressive Party/Civic (PPP/C).

 

The party charged in a statement that it is aware that the PPP/C was using “so called” CSOs, who are paid by the Ministry of Amerindian Affairs, to do political work in the region.

 

More in Local News

Bisham Kuppen

Despite higher revenue, city still faces deficit

City Hall amassed a whopping $1.29 billion in revenue for the first six months of the year but continues to operate at a deficit and some city councillors are frustrated at their inability to access detailed information on the city’s expenditure.

default placeholder

Gov’t condemns Jagdeo for race baiting

The Government of Guyana (GoG) yesterday condemned Leader of the Opposition Bharrat Jagdeo for “race baiting,” after he claimed that there is “an assault on people of Indian origin” during a speech at an event in New York recently.

Commander of ‘B’ Division Ian Amsterdam (second, right) meeting with Pawan Chandradeo’s wife and children

City detectives to assist in Berbice triple murder probe

The police are continuing to work all angles and a number of theories in order to solve last week’s triple murder at Mibicuri, Black Bush Polder and Crime Chief Wendell Blanhum said yesterday that a team from the force’s Major Crimes Unit (MCU) was expected to head to the area to lend assistance in the investigation.

default placeholder

Appointment of new foreign envoys based on merit, not patronage – Granger

The appointment of new foreign mission heads was based on merit and was not a form of reward, President David Granger said last evening even as he called on them to put the border controversy with Venezuela on the front burner.

The roof of Nand Persaud International Communications Inc at Tain covered with solar panels

Nand Persaud Company set to unveil huge solar project in Berbice

Local business group Nand Persaud and Company Limited will shortly unveil what is said to be the largest solar energy project in the country to date with 220 kilowatts of energy expected to be generated to power the group’s call centre at Tain, Corentyne.

default placeholder

Probe launched into maternity death

An investigation has been launched into the death of a Matthews Ridge woman who succumbed one week after giving birth via caesarean section (C-section) at the Georgetown Public Hospital, Minister of Public Health Dr George Norton has said.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: