East Canje labourer found dead in abandoned house

An East Canje, Berbice man was found dead with marks of violence about his body in an abandoned house yesterday.

Allan Gobin, called ‘Antics,’ 47, was found with an injury to his head and chops to his hands and feet.

Gobin, a labourer of Lot 41 New Street, East Canje, was found lying in the abandoned house, reported to be owned by his overseas-based mother, at Moore Street, East Canje.

According to Lalita Indranarine, a cousin, her uncle had made the discovery

Allan Gobin
Allan Gobin

after trying for hours to find the man.

The woman stated that her uncle launched a search for the man after they had not seen him for the day. “Well, he is a man that does be most times on the road or be by somebody or at some shop drinking but we didn’t see him… so my uncle went and looked for him,” she explained.

Stabroek News was told that the man checked “rum shops” and asked persons in the area if they had seen Gobin but no one knew of his whereabouts. Although her uncle passed by the abandoned house on Moore Street and noticed the door ajar, he decided to check other places that Gobin would normally frequent. It was not until his search became fruitless that he returned to the home, where he found him.

Indranarine related that after her uncle discovered the body, he called her. When she arrived at the home, she saw blood splattered on the bed and floor. The family then summoned the police.

The woman added that when undertakers were removing Gobin’s corpse blood was still oozing out from his injuries, which led her to suspect that the man might have been attacked sometime yesterday.

When asked why anyone might want to hurt Gobin, Indranarine suggested that persons may have wanted the house. She explained she heard a woman was occupying the house but when she had visited the home no one was there.

Gobin was a father of one.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Finance Minister says unsure of UG ‘emergency’ funding needs

Minister of Finance Winston Jordan has said that he is unsure of the ‘emergency’ funding the University of Guyana needs to reputedly prevent a collapse of the  institution.

default placeholder

Ministry welcomes removal from US human trafficking watch list

The Ministry of Social Protection yesterday welcomed the latest classification on Trafficking in Persons (TIP), which has seen the country coming off the watch list for TIP, that is, moving from Tier 2 on the Watch List to just Tier Two.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: