Health Ministry acknowledges ANSA McAL protest over drug supply

Trinidadian conglomerate ANSA McAL has received an acknowledgement of its protest to the Health Ministry about its failure to pre-qualify to supply drugs for the country’s health sector but remains tight-lipped about its next move.

ANSA McAL last month formally dispatched a letter to the Ministry of Health asking that it show where the company failed in its pre-qualification evaluation for the supply of drugs, after Cabinet Secretary Dr Roger Luncheon announced that only the New GPC was pre-qualified.

Stabroek News understands that the company will give an update on the status of its protest soon.

Meanwhile, efforts to contact officials of the Ministry of Health proved futile. When calls were made last week to the office of the Ministry of Health’s Permanent Secretary Leslie Cadogan, a female who answered said that he was not there.

Last week Wednesday Cadogan had scheduled a meeting with Stabroek News but on the morning of the scheduled interview his secretary called to say that “PS will not be available. We will call you to reschedule another date.” However to date no call has been forthcoming.

Luncheon had said that New GPC has pre-qualified because the company outscored competitors not only in safety requirements but also in local investment.

Following his announcement, ANSA McAL formally dispatched its query to the Ministry of Health on July 25. The next day, at a news conference, President Donald Ramotar stressed that the naming of the New GPC as the sole pre-qualifier was based on set criteria but added that aggrieved companies should appeal.

ANSA McAL and New GPC were among seven companies which submitted pre-qualification documents on February 18 to the National Procurement and Tender Administration Board (NPTAB). Western Scientific Company, another firm out of Trinidad and Tobago, also sought to pre-qualify to supply and deliver pharmaceuticals, medical supplies and other consumables. The remaining companies, which are all Guyana-based, were Telcom Solutions (Guyana) Inc., Meditron Scientific Sales, Inter-national Pharmaceutical Agency (IPA) and Global Healthcare Supplies Inc.

The pre-qualification of suppliers covers the period 2014 to 2016 and was unveiled last year, amid great controversy. Critics argued that the new criteria were tailored to favour New GPC, which government has consistently favoured over the past decade with billion-dollar contracts for drug supplies.

Since the announcement that the New GPC was identified as the sole pre-qualifier, the Guyana Times, which shares the same owner as the New GPC, had reported that New GPC would have to compete with international organisations.

Stabroek News visited the Ministry of Health, the NPTAB, and local offices of the international agencies listed while speaking with officials of others to ascertain the claims.

 

Each official or representative contacted expressed surprise that they were being asked about procuring drugs, given that their organisation’s role in Guyana was publicly known.

The international agencies—United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF), World Health Organisation (WHO), and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)—are donors, funders or in the case of the Pan-American Health Organisation (PAHO), a facilitator for the procurement of drugs for this country at concessionary rates as for developing countries. They do not ever engage in competitive bidding. The Ministry’s Permanent Secretary also debunked the claims. “No. Those organizations don’t bid for drug supplies… they are international organisations. So, no, no, no. But I know with PAHO there is an arrangement where they assist in us getting certain things because we can’t compete with international market prices,” he had said.

Latest in Local News

bkdonald

Tiwari pledged continuing support to PPP in March last year – Ramotar

Former President Donald Ramotar today released a letter written to him by the Head of BK Inc Brian Tiwari on March 23rd last year pledging continuing support to the PPP and best wishes for the then upcoming general elections.

default placeholder

Crane man shot after chopping wife, child to death

A man this morning chopped his wife and two-year-old child to death at Crane, West Coast Demerara and wounded his mother.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie blasts Ramotar administration over specialty hospital project

Businessman Brian Tiwarie yesterday rejected claims that his company had taken possession of containers belonging to the fired Specialty Hospital contractor and he accused the Donald Ramotar administration of grossly mismanaging the project.

The Kato school

Multimillion-dollar Kato school unsafe for children

The Kato Secondary School, which was constructed at a cost over hundreds of millions of dollars, remains unoccupied because it is not safe for children, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

default placeholder

Repairs underway to shifting Hope Canal bridge

There is a major structural fault with the $350m bridge constructed across the Hope Canal,  East Coast Demerara, according to Minister of State Joseph Harmon, who yesterday said the structure has repeatedly shifted away from the road.

default placeholder

National Assembly approves $800m in supplementary spending

After hours of deliberations, the National Assembly last night approved almost $800 million in extra-budgetary spending including on 6000 solar panels to “green” State House and an army exercise aimed at testing the preparedness of the Guyana Defence Force which was done last year.

default placeholder

Brian Tiwarie planning to establish newspaper

Prominent businessman and owner of BK International, Brian Tiwarie, is planning to open his own newspaper company here and has started the process.

default placeholder

Probe underway into stealth flights from Ogle

An inquiry has been launched into the circumstances surrounding how two planes left Guyana illegally from the Eugene F Correia International Airport (EFCIA) last Saturday, Minister of State Joseph Harmon said yesterday.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: