Cops seek further DPP advice in station burning case

The police are seeking further advice in the case against Constable Earwin Forrester and Inspector Dexter Thornton, the two ranks charged with burning the hands of a teen detainee and then attempting to pervert the course of justice, respectively.

Magistrate Alex Moore yesterday adjourned the case after the prosecution informed the court that the file had been sent to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions for further advice.

It is alleged that during the period May 25 and May 27, Forrester inflicted grievous bodily harm on Junior Thornton at the Sparendaam Police Station, while Thornton is accused of attempting to pervert the course of justice.

Junior Thornton
Junior Thornton

Junior Thornton, of Lot 1 Eastville Housing Scheme, Annandale, East Coast Demerara, had also stated that he was denied medical attention and food while he was in police custody.

(from left) Inspector Thornton and Constable Forrester entering the Sparendaam Police Station following their arraignment on July 8.
(from left) Inspector Thornton and Constable Forrester entering the Sparendaam Police Station following their arraignment on July 8.

He has alleged that lawmen soaked his hands with methylated spirits before lighting them on fire and then kept him in the lock-ups for three days before taking him to the hospital.

The teen had explained that he was walking his dogs in his neighbourhood when he was approached by police officers. He said that the officers accused him of wandering and asked him to get into the police pick-up.

However, he said he refused and he was grabbed and thrown into the tray of the vehicle.

Later the same day, he said, he was taken to the back of the police station, where one of the officers threw methylated spirits on his hands. With the help of other police officers, one of the officers started a fire and burnt his soaked hands.

Inspector Thornton is currently on $100,000 bail, while Constable Forrester was granted $125,000 bail.

Statements are expected to be filed on September 22.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Warriors win nail-biter

The Guyana Amazon Warriors began their 2016 Hero Caribbean Premier League (CPL) T20 title pursuit with a four-wicket win over the St Kitts and Nevis Patriots with one ball to spare in last night’s match played at Warner Park.

Omar Shariff

Ministry of the Presidency official Shariff sent on leave pending SOCU investigation

Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of the Presidency (MOTP), Omar Shariff has been sent on leave by Minister of State, Joseph Harmon, a release from MOTP said today.

default placeholder

Body found in rubble of Wales fire

At 01:30hrs today, police say that a fire destroyed a home at Wales, West Bank Demerara, and the body of an unidentified person was subsequently discovered among the rubble.

default placeholder

Exxon Mobil says second well confirms `significant’ oil find

Exxon Mobil Corporation today said that drilling results from the Liza-2 well, the second exploration well in the Stabroek block offshore Guyana, confirm a world-class find with a recoverable deposit of between 800 million and 1.4 billion oil-equivalent barrels.

default placeholder

Proposed law bans smoking in public places

Proposed tobacco control legislation will see a ban on smoking in public places while cigarette advertising will no longer be allowed and pictorial and text health warnings will have to be displayed on at least 75% of the packaging on tobacco products.

default placeholder

$800M in specialty hospital steel ‘awarded’ to BK

Government needs to explain why about $800 million worth of steel and other equipment that were earmarked for the now-frozen specialty hospital project, went solely to businessman Brian Tiwarie, former President Donald Ramotar says.

Ezekiel Murray

Truck driver jailed for three years for crash causing child’s death

Clyde Barker, the truck driver who was accused of running over 12-year-old Ezekiel Murray along the Friendship Public Road last year and causing his death, was yesterday sentenced to 3 years imprisonment.

default placeholder

Businessman jailed and fined over gun, ammo possession

A businessman was yesterday sentenced to two years imprisonment and fined $100,000 after being found guilty of illegal possession of a firearm and ammunition.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: