Stats bureau website suspended

The Bureau of Statistics’ website has been suspended for unknown reasons and officials are unable to say why.

The timing of the suspension raises questions as it follows recent reports by Stabroek News which states that logging figures offered by Finance Minister Ashni Singh in his mid-year report were contradicted by figures released by the International Tropical Timber Organisation (ITTO).

In its bi-weekly report, released last Friday, the ITTO, citing figures supplied by the Guyana Forestry Commission (GFC) said that log exports rose by 80% in the first half of this year compared to the same period last year. This revelation contradicts Singh, who in his mid-year report in the economy attributed the 31.3% increase in timber export earnings to “an expansion in plywood earnings.”

The state of the website was discovered yesterday morning and it remained this way until press time last evening. A reporter from this newspaper visited the Bureau around 3:35 pm yesterday and waited for more than an hour to query the development with Chief Statistician Lennox Benjamin who was said to be in a meeting at the time.

When the reporter left at around 4:45 pm Benjamin was said to still be in his meeting.

Efforts were also made to speak to the agency’s Information Technology (IT) staff about the suspended site but a message from the department referred the reporter back to Benjamin. Eventually, a representative of the Bureau explained that the suspension of the site was noticed by them on Monday.

The official said that the Bureau has contacted the company which maintains the site to ascertain the reason for the suspension. Despite these efforts, she said, the Bureau remains in the dark as to why the site has been suspended. Stabroek News inquired the name of the service provider but the official was not aware. The official attempted to get the name of the provider from the IT department but related that the employees of the department were not keen on divulging the information.

Calls made yesterday to Singh on the issue were futile while Finance Secretary Neermal Rekha said he did not know that the site was suspended.

He further said that Benjamin was the best person to speak to on the issue as he is the subject agency’s head. Benjamin however, remained in his meeting even after the reporter left after waiting for more than an hour.

The ITTO reported that log exports for the first half of this year amounted to 54,376 cubic metres compared to 30,356 cubic metres for the same period last year. This amounts to a roughly 80% increase in log exports. In contrast, plywood exports for the first half of this year amounted to 1,931 cubic metres from 1,851 cubic metres for the same period last year, an increase of 4.3%.

Singh, in the mid-year report on the economy, said that the forestry sector grew by almost 40% for the first six months of the year. According to the report, the sector recorded growth of 38.1%, “supported by the introduction of new incentives to harvesters and sustained demand from the construction sector and furniture manufacturing subsector.” This was not explained.

As a consequence, the growth target for the sector has been revised upwards significantly from the budgeted 3.3% to 15% growth for 2014. The report said that timber export earnings rose to US$21.3 million, a 31.3% increase due to an increase in export volume, “reflecting an expansion in plywood exports.”

Based on the ITTO report, which used data supplied by the GFC, it would be unlikely that the plywood exports would have increased earnings by so much.

Latest in Local News

default placeholder

Resource ambassadors raise $14.5m for UG

Education resource ambassadors from various parts of the world who were recently here for a conference on improving UG have raised $14.5m for the university.

default placeholder

Northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue closed to traffic

The northern carriageway of Carifesta Avenue has been closed to traffic. This is to facilitate ongoing improvement and lighting works to the thoroughfare.

The newly appointed Deputy Commissioner General Hema Khan (left) with Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas. She was introduced during a press conference held yesterday.

GRA sacks heads of Customs, HR

Chairman of the Guyana Revenue Authority (GRA) Board Rawle Lucas yesterday announced a major shake-up in the management of the tax body, including the removal of the heads of its Customs and Human Resources divisions for unsatisfactory performance and the appointment of a Deputy Commissioner-General.

European Union Ambassador Jernej Videtič (left) hands over the Coastal Engineering Design Manual for Guyana Sea and River Defences to Minister of Public Infrastructure David Patterson. (Ministry of Public Infrastructure photo)

$2B in EU funding for sea defences

While urging the swift operationalisation of the Public Procurement Commission (PPC), European Union (EU) Representative to Guyana Ambassador Jernej Videtič yesterday handed over a $2 billion cheque to Minister of Finance Winston Jordan to aid in improving the country’s sea and river defences.

Members of the City Constabulary in their ceremonial dress march along Regent Street yesterday prior to the arrival of the President. (Photo by Keno George)

Put citizens first

With the controversial parking meter contract instigating fractures within the Mayor and City Council (M&CC), President David Granger yesterday reminded city councillors that they are accountable to the citizens who voted them into office.

Injuried: Dhaniram Tribeni

Canal Number One businessman beaten, shot in home invasion

A Canal Number One businessman is now injured after he was beaten and shot early yesterday morning when armed bandits invaded his home and escaped with a quantity cash and jewellery.

default placeholder

City councillor accused of invading Town Clerk’s privacy

A city councillor has been accused of invading the privacy of Town Clerk Royston King and his family after contacting one of King’s daughters about the controversial trip he made to Mexico with the Mayor and other council members.

default placeholder

Chainsaw operator, 16, charged over rape of 10-yr-old

A 16-year-old chainsaw operator was yesterday charged with the rape of a child under the age of 16 years old and later released into the custody of his parents.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: