PPP asks Gecom to extend claims and objections period

The People’s Progressive Party does not believe that the current period for claims and objections to the preliminary voter’s list is sufficient and has written to the Guyana Elections Commission (Gecom) asking for a seven-day extension.

“The PPP is convinced that an extension at this critical time is necessary to ensure most if not all eligible Guyanese are on the List and not disenfranchised whenever elections are called,” a statement from the party said yesterday.

The current deadline for claims and objections is August 24, 2014. The PPP’s position was echoed by Head of the Presidential Secretariat Dr. Roger Luncheon at yesterday’s post-Cabinet press briefing.

Dr Roger Luncheon
Dr Roger Luncheon

“The concerns that the administration has, and these deal primarily with transfers and the volume of transfers, for which we harbour a fear that they will not be dealt with properly in this short period that remain. I suspect that the request may very well be associated with a minimum of one to two weeks’ timeframe,” Luncheon said.

He said too that at this week’s Cabinet meeting the focus was heavy on the electoral process and concerns about Gecom’s preparedness was discussed.

According to the PPP’s statement, the party was dissatisfied with Gecom’s notification process in informing residents of mobile units, the selection of convenient days and times to accommodate residents and the meagre time spent in hinterland and riverain communities.

“The PPP has received valuable information from our extensive field work countrywide which proves there are many persons who are still to effect transfer of their particulars from one list to another, especially in New Housing Schemes,” the statement says.

“Time and again the Party had engaged Gecom to conduct mobile registration in these schemes as well as hinterland and riverain communities; even though some amount of work was done,” it adds.

The statement said that the PPP had made representations for the over 8,000 persons that were still to take transfers at the end of the last continuous registration period. However, ground work has shown there is still a significant amount of persons to make claims and objections.

The PPP called on major stakeholders to support its call for an extension “so that every eligible Guyanese can get on the list paving the way for transparent, free and fair elections whenever they are called.”

More in Local News

default placeholder

‘Prime’ suspects in Corentyne triple murder held

Police yesterday arrested seven more persons in connection with last week’s shocking triple murder at Black Bush Polder including two prime suspects.

Sanjay’s Jewelry Store on Sheriff Street

Bandits raid Sanjay’s jewellery store

Four bandits carted off millions of dollars in cash and jewellery on Saturday night after holding the owner of Sanjay’s Jewellery at gunpoint at his Sheriff Street home.

Wavel Sabsook

Electrician dies in Diamond crash

An electrician died just after midnight yesterday after he was thrown out of the car he was in after the driver lost control and crashed into a fence at Diamond, East Bank Demerara.

default placeholder

Committee agrees on candidates for Public Procurement Commission

Five persons to serve on the long-awaited Public Procurement Commission (PPC) have been selected and a report from the body responsible for the shortlisting, the Public Accounts Committee (PAC) will be presented to the National Assembly at next week Thursday’s sitting, sources say.

default placeholder

Four months on, Harmon’s China trip has produced no results

Four months after a controversial trip to China, there has been no favourable outcome on two major issues that Minister of State Joseph Harmon engaged in.

Leekha Rambrich

Drastic fall in rice sowing over El Niño – Rambrich

The El Niño dry weather has resulted in a drastic decline in rice cultivation this year, especially in Leguan and the Essequibo Coast and in the Mahaica, Mahaicony and Abary creeks.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.



Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: