Contract signed for de-bushing of Le Repentir Cemetery

The de-bushing of Le Repentir Cemetery will soon begin as the Ministry of Local Government yesterday signed an $8.3M contract with the company which will execute the works.

“Today (yesterday) the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development signed a contract with Jeffrey James Construction which was awarded the contract to de-bush blocks 1,3,4 and 5 of the Le Repentir Cemetery,” a release from the ministry stated.

The ministry stated that works should commence within one week.

On the 19th of this month four companies had bid for the project. Stabroek News had reported on that bid and details are shown in the table below.




The ministry said that based on the lowest responsive bid system James secured the contract.

The company will now be responsible for cutting down and removing vegetation within the four listed blocks.

The government is spending $103M on the clean-up of Le Repentir cemetery. GINA yesterday said that the cemetery clean-up is being executed in a phased manner. For the first phase, Kingdom Apiary was contracted to remove bees within the cemetery. GINA said that between July 25 and August 15, 15 Africanised bee colonies were successfully removed from the cemetery between Broad and Sussex streets on St. Stephen’s Street.

GINA said that the next aspect of the cemetery clean-up will see the contract between the Guyana Prison Service and the Ministry of Local Government and Regional Development take effect. This contractor will undertake the task of de-bushing Block 7 of the cemetery.

The repairs to access roads are expected to commence on in a few weeks.

More in Local News


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Convicted drug trafficker Barry Dataram about to be handed over to local enforcement officials by the Suriname police. Inset is the information page in the fake passport for “David Persaud” that was being used by the fugitive. (Royston Drakes photos)

    Dataram, wife returned to Guyana

  2. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  3. Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  4. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  5. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  6. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  7. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

  8. Cops grilling taxi driver after passenger robbed of $6M on seawall

  9. featured

    Diwali holiday on Oct 29, motorcade set for same day

Recommended For You