Clarke backs ICC move to give trio of nations more power

(Reuters) – England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) chairman Giles Clarke has defended the International Cricket Council’s (ICC) decision to give Australia, England and India more power in the sport.

It was announced after a board meeting in Dubai last month that a new ICC executive committee would be established to include representatives from the ECB, Cricket Australia and the Board of Control for Cricket in India.

However, the plan has received widespread criticism with some suggesting the ‘big three’ will take over at the expense of the other cricketing nations.

“The ICC need to go to market this year with their broadcast and sponsorship rights for the period 2015-2023,” Clarke told the ECB website ( yesterday.

“The ICC president (Alan Isaac) asked India, Australia and ourselves … to come up with a proposal that will guarantee the participation of all nations in those events (because without that guarantee the rights would be seriously devalued) and at the same time benefit all countries. That is what we have done.”


Clarke, ECB chairman since 2007, denied that only Australia, England and India would benefit from the changes.

“The perception is completely wrong,” he said. “All countries earn more through this proposal. No one doubts that India’s contribution to world cricket is extremely important and that should be recognised.



More in Sports


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Convicted drug trafficker Barry Dataram about to be handed over to local enforcement officials by the Suriname police. Inset is the information page in the fake passport for “David Persaud” that was being used by the fugitive. (Royston Drakes photos)

    Dataram, wife returned to Guyana

  2. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  3. Dead: Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  4. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  5. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  6. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  7. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

  8. Cops grilling taxi driver after passenger robbed of $6M on seawall

  9. featured

    Diwali holiday on Oct 29, motorcade set for same day

Recommended For You