Caribbean Premier League to cut costs, registered loss for 2013

(Trinidad Express) Last year’s inaugural edition of the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) was a success with the public. But in an effort to reduce costs for the 2014 tournament, the player salary cap is likely to be scaled down. “We’re looking at reducing the salary cap,” CEO of the CPL Damien O’Donohoe told the Express yesterday.
O’ Donohoe said the move “hasn’t been finalised,” yet, but asked how much of a cutback was being considered, he said, “ten per cent will be close to what we will be looking at.” In the 2013 edition, players were separated into three groupings. Pool A featured international cricketers—14 from West Indies and 12 from overseas. Pool B included six international and over 100 regional players, a few of whom had represented West Indies, while Pool C consisted of Under-23 players. Salaries within these groupings ranged from US$100,000 to US$5,000. However, the CPL boss said the proposed change is “likely to affect the international players,” specifically but not those international cricketers from the West Indies.
Explaining the reason for the intended salary reductions, O’Donohoe said: This league is a multi-million dollar (business). It has been funded by Denis O’Brien and Digicel, so in order to plan, we need to look at ways of reducing costs and increasing and getting more support from the governments.” Asked how the CPL did financially in its first season, O’Donohoe said it did not make a profit. Asked how big was the loss, he said, “that’s not something I will be willing to share.”

He said further that a profit in 2014 would also be unlikely, “because the level of investment is so great…It’s dependent on so many variables.” Nevertheless, O’Donohoe said there are “a number of interested parties” contending to become owners of three of the six franchises that are still without full ownership—Antigua, Barbados and Jamaica. “It’s just a case of (choosing) the right partners,” he said. The CEO also confirmed that there will be no new teams for 2014, but he added that because of the interest of “a couple of islands like St Kitts” that are interested in hosting a team, the CPL might consider playing some matches at neutral venues. The second edition of the CPL is scheduled for July 5 to August 10.

More in Sports

The victorious Trinidad and Tobago women’s T20 side celebrate their T20 triumph.

Trinidad captures WICB women’s T20 title

Anisa Mohammed produced another sterling all-round performance which allowed Trinidad and Tobago to hoist the 2016 West Indies Cricket Board (WICB) Regional T20 title after beating Jamaica by two wickets in Monday night’s final played at the Providence National Stadium.

Garfield Wiltshire

Squash players performed “beyond expectations”

Manager of the Guyana Junior Squash Team to the recent Caribbean Junior Squash Championships in the Cayman Islands Garfield Wiltshire said the recent performance of securing Guyana’s 12th overall Team Title was outstanding and that the players performed beyond expectations.

Clinton Urling, Proprietor of German’s Restaurant hands over the sponsorship cheque to Kanimas skipper Nia Gonsalves in the presence of Guyana Baseball League (GBL) President Robin Singh.

German’s Restaurant sponsors baseball team

German’s Restaurant became the latest sponsors of the Guyana Under-21Women’s Baseball team which is preparing to make history come next month when they visit Halifax, Canada to play in an invitational tournament from August 4-8.

default placeholder

Jetty Gunners crowned champs after edging Sparta Boss

Jetty Gunners were crowned the second annual `Ballers in the Summer Street Football Champions’ after edging Sparta Boss 1-0 via penalty kicks in the final on Saturday at the Pouderoyen Tarmac.

Dilma Rousseff

Brazil’s Rousseff turns down Olympic opening invite -aide

BRASILIA, (Reuters) – Brazil’s suspended President Dilma Rousseff has decided not to attend the torch ceremony opening the Rio 2016 Olympic Games, an aide said yesterday, one day after she said in an interview she would not play second fiddle to interim President Michel Temer.

Thomas Bach

IOC’s Bach is part of doping problem, says discus champion Harting

(Reuters) – Germany’s Olympic discus champion Robert Harting has launched a stinging attack on International Olympic Committee (IOC) president Thomas Bach, describing him as part of the problem in the fight against doping.

Comments

About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Stay updated! Follow Stabroek News on Facebook or Twitter.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning: