England’s Prior to take break from game

LONDON, (Reuters) – England wicketkeeper Matt Prior is taking a break from the game for the rest of the domestic season following the 95-run defeat by India in the second test at Lord’s yesterday, he told the England and Wales Cricket Board website.

Prior, under pressure for his place after a poor run of form with the gloves and the bat, has not retired from international cricket but at the age of 32 and with ongoing injury problems his future must be in serious doubt.

“I’m not doing justice to myself and more importantly the team and that is what matters first and foremost,” Prior said.

“I tore my quad before the first test and my right hand has been beaten to a pulp, but the main issue is the Achilles.

“Now we have the time, I want to be pro-active about how we deal with it so I imagine that I’ll have an operation.

“I’ve always said as long as I can do my job I will manage the pain and get on with it, but it has now got to the point where I can’t do my job to the level I expect of myself.”

Prior has played 79 tests since making his debut in 2007, scoring more than 4,000 runs including seven centuries at an average of 40.18.

His absence will be another blow for a struggling England team who have not won in their last 10 tests following the retirement of off-spinner Graeme Swann, the axing of leading batsman Kevin Pietersen and the unavailability of Jonathan Trott due to a stress-related illness. Captain Alastair Cook is under enormous pressure but after the defeat by India in the second test left England 1-0 down in the five-match series, he said he would not be standing down from the job.

England one-day wicketkeeper Jos Buttler is likely to be drafted into the squad for the third test starting in Southampton on Sunday.

More in Sports


About these comments

The comments section is intended to provide a forum for reasoned and reasonable debate on the newspaper's content and is an extension of the newspaper and what it has become well known for over its history: accuracy, balance and fairness. We reserve the right to edit or delete comments which contain attacks on other users, slander, coarse language and profanity, and gratuitous and incendiary references to race and ethnicity.

Get the day's headlines from SN in your inbox every morning:

Most Read This Week

  1. Convicted drug trafficker Barry Dataram about to be handed over to local enforcement officials by the Suriname police. Inset is the information page in the fake passport for “David Persaud” that was being used by the fugitive. (Royston Drakes photos)

    Dataram, wife returned to Guyana

  2. Back in court: In this Keno George composite photo, Barry Dataram (left) and his wife Anjanie Boodnarine at court yesterday to answer three charges including fleeing the jurisdiction.

    Dataram to serve eight years in jail after guilty plea to new charges

  3. Yansen Brusche

    Ulverston mom of four stabbed to death by children’s father

  4. Ameer Subrati

    Man dies after bandits target overseas-based couple at Herstelling

  5. US Ambassador Perry Holloway and Finance Minister Winston Jordan shake hands after the signing of the agreement yesterday.

    Guyana inks pact for reporting to IRS on holdings of US citizens

  6. Bharrat Jagdeo

    Crime has never been this bad – Jagdeo

  7. Updated: Man dies after bandits attack overseas-based Guyanese at Herstelling

  8. Barry Dataram

    Datarams getaway passports had been issued to other people

  9. Dr. Prudence Lewis-Bhola

    Prudence Lewis-Bhola appointed as CEO of broadcasting authority

Recommended For You